2006 Olympics: Canada Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Damn straight... though did anyone see Vancouver's presentation at the closing ceremonies.... it was well very stereotypical to say the least. I know the whole native thing is a huge theme of the 2010 Games but basically it showed the world that all we do here is ice fish, ride around on snowmobiles and such. I was actually quite disappointed by it all but the whole handing over the flag to the mayor of Vancouver was a really touching moment.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am sorry but I am NOT at ALL happy about the whole "Native" theming of the games. IMO everything about these games (including the logo) has some sort of connection to First Nations and I think that is wrong. I mean what about THE OTHER things about Canada...I don't see anything else being represented and I think that is going to take away from the Olympics.

Now before I get flamed or called a racist or whatever...I am not saying that First Nations culture should not be part of the games theme or message or whatever, it absolutely should, but I don't think it should be the focal point of the theme and I think they could have come up with a WAY better logo than the one we got.

Canada has MANY different cultures, not just first nations...I would like to see some of the other cultures represented.

Also I agree who ever said that the presentation was VERY stereotypical I mean COME ON!! I haven't been on a snowmobile in YEARS, I have NEVER built an igloo or went ice fishing and I can bet over 50% of the population hasn't done any of that aswell. I hope this is not an idication of what will be showcased when the games come to Vancouver in 2010....so far I am not impressed I think the entire message/theme of the games has come off as very unoriginal...id like Vancouver 2010 to bring something new to the table.

Archived