Soapnet's "50 years in 50 hours" GH marathon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

w7mnbEo.jpg

Alex Quartermaine looks like Skye. Maybe she is Skye's real mother...lol. What happened to her? I like her from this small bit I see. She seems like a scheming little minx

I see Heather is still breaking out of mental hospitals. Somethings never change

Not feeing this Diana Taylor

• Members

IIRC, Clink/Boom was the advent of Guza Mark I.

When he was on in the '90s he was like no one else. That was when the show I'd grown up with as a kid seemed to be growing with me, though it was of course already over 30 years old. I was becoming a surly teenager, and at the same time the show was fast turning darker, more sinister, more edgy in the way OLTL was for me. The writing, which I felt had been a lot more loose, rambling, very intelligent but very homey under Labine, suddenly became sharp and spiky. That's when the show became a new kind of compulsive appointment viewing, not just Labine's comfort food. Luke was dangerous, Luke and Laura's family had been blown apart, Carly was causing trouble, there were these people called the Cassadines, and I just kept tuning in every day for all of that. No one was safe and everything was amazing. I wasn't really into the men at the time so much as the women though, because I thought they were stronger characters. I thought Steve Burton was very cute though. And I'd had a thing for Ricky Martin, who was gone quickly - and when you're 14 or whatever your sense of age is skewed, so I thought every other hunk on the show was like 40 years old and instead I just kept wondering when Lucky would take his shirt off (he never did).

Looking back at it now I see how Guza fell apart later on, how the 'sexy' dark approach he brought to the show became a slippery slope. But I thought then - and still think now - that his '90s show was often just as good as Labine, simply profoundly different. The right way to approach the show would have been to more organically merge their styles and interests. But instead, by 2000 or 2001 they'd dismantled far too much of what Labine and Riche had painstakingly built. And of course when Guza returned, he destroyed his own legacy.

• Members
I request that RC writes it that she was thawed out and is in fact the missing Quartermaine heir. She comes back to town to reclaim her place in the family and duke it out with Tracy. If Lauren Koslow wasnt on Days, she'd have been a perfect recast.

The more I watch of her, the more I LOVE her! She really does seem like early Skye and her scenes with Edward are reminiscent of them too. What is the actress doing or what did she do post-GH? She seems so natural and likeable

• Members

Showkiller Guza's arrival signaled the beginning of the end of the show that I loved. It was a decline that was kept at bay for a while by Riche keeping his ass in check, but there were signs that GH was transforming from sugar to sh!t from as early as 1996.

Once he wrote Robin off in such a disgraceful way (and JJ Lucky was 'killed' off, though JJ's departure was beyond his control), the show started to unravel and completely destructed when TIIC fired Riche and replaced her with bootleg Janet Wood.

• Members

My Robin & Brenda...wub.pngwub.pngwub.png They were truly sisters from another mister, which is why they were my all-time favorite female BFFs on this show. Such a damn shame that friendships like that went the way of crystal Pepsi.

Kevin & Mac. wub.pngwub.png Love how Kevin is being an understanding and non-judgemental friend to Mac.

Archived