Soapnet's "50 years in 50 hours" GH marathon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm actually still back in the weeds in 1980 - which is great, too - but I will say these '90s episodes being shown have brought back for me how much Labine loved the long, rambling scenes where people would talk and talk around subjects with little ironic vignettes, everyday topics, etc. Labine was always doing that on OLTL too.

That's one of my strongest memories of childhood - staying around after OLTL, which was the 'edgier,' grittier, more '90s show I was fascinated with, for GH which was the very warm, homey show with Luke and Laura's house with Lucky and the dogs, and people having long, long funny scenes just rambling about things. Like that scene last night with Mac and Felicia arguing ceaselessly about men and women drivers, or Lucky going on and on about people having babies. The show was just so easy and comforting, especially, I think, for kids who were just out of school. It lost sight of that a long time ago. And I thought it was very important for children coming home from school to just see those scenes of ongoing life that Labine and her crew loved to write; I still think it's important. That's how you hook generational audiences. I hope Hulu invests in it with the new shows, and I hope GH someday gets back to it.

These '80s episodes are also a great showcase for not only Jackie Zeman, who I've always loved, but also Shell Kepler. By the time I started watching in the '90s she was mostly this strange, weird presence who gradually seemed to have way too much plastic surgery. But as gossiping Nurse Amy in the old days she was a hoot. It's one reason I welcome characters like Felix or Sabrina, though they do need to ease up on Sabrina a little, or make her a little more down to earth, show her family, a life outside of Patrick and the awkward caricature they've painted. This is what GH should be, in the hospital.

• Members

I liked Lily. But I was eleven years old and thought she and Miguel were so sweet. I also loved Ned and Lois. It took me years to appreciate Brenda at all, though. I appreciate her a lot more watching her evolution in hindsight.

Archived