ALL: Who or what is a "vet"

• Members

Based on the conversation I'm seeing in another thread, I'd be interested in hearing definitions of what people mean when posters talk about soap veterans. Actor? Character? Time on screen/off-screen included?

Personally, I only count actors as vets, not characters and I don't count any actor who started since 2000.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A vet to me is someone who has at least been in the same character for over 10 years. Even with breaks.

Example.

Cameron Matheson was a vet of AMC (He'd played Ryan since 1998) with a small break. Even though I couldn't stand him. He had still played the same character for a long running amount of time.

Alicia Minshew was not a vet. She played Kendall for only 9 years when the show went off.

For GH.

Mo Benard (Sonny) is a vet. He's been in the same character since 1993.

Laura Wright....Is not a vet. She's only played Carly since 2005. Even though there's been other Carly's before her.

• Members

What's a vet?

Someone who has been acting for many years?

A Daytime vet?

Is a Phil Carey type vet, who was in the business for decades and did more than just soap the same as a LW vet, who's only done soaps for a solid 20 years? There's no comparison. You have Geary who's done quite a bit in and outside of Daytime. What has Jane Elliot done outside of GH and other Daytime shows?

You have veterans: Phil Carey, Tony Geary, Eric Braeden, Susan Flannery and then you have Daytime veterans, the previous mentions and then the LW's, Jane Elliots, Roger Howarths, Robin Christophers, etc.

IMHO, there's a difference.

• Webmaster

I also agree with the 10 year (non-consecutive) cut off based on actor, not character. If you've been playing the same character on the same show for 10 years or longer, you are a veteran. The way I base this is due to the Teacher's Retirement System of NYC. In that system, once you've been deducted in pay for a full 10 years (not including breaks), you are vested and no more deductions will be made by them.

• Members

It depends on whether the actor or character is being called a veteran. If the character is called a veteran, then the time the actor has been in the role matters less to me than how long the character has been on consecutively.

In that context, I would consider Carly a veteran. I would not consider Steve Webber a veteran, as he's only been around off and on a few years.

(I would consider him an abomination, though.)

• Members

Personally I consider Carey, Wright and Elliot all to be soap vets. I look at soap vets similar to the way I look at theatre vets. I don't care all the much about the character they played as I do about the fact that they work(ed) in the genre.

I don't entertain the concept of veteran characters anymore. I did once but no longer. Iconic, yes but veteran, no.

I agree. Of course that begs the question of how valuable is "vet" status in the current soap climate. I could make the argument that being a vet has become a liability but that's best left for a different thread.

• Webmaster

Honestly, Kristen is a daytime veteran. So is Kirsten Storms. Even Farah Fath. The one's who aren't are those who have been in the industry or on a show for less than 10 years. Despite what people may say of Alderson, she's essentially the new generations Kimberly McCullough - being that she grew up on a show and has reached adulthood. Therefore, she's a vet.

• Members

KA is definitely a vet. She's also screwed once GH goes off the air but still she's a vet.

I think of her more as the new generation's Kassie De Paiva in that she thought she could warble and chew scenery in the same role for the rest of her life and has never tried to stretch herself or work on her craft.

Archived