Black Character Portrayals in Soaps Today

• Members

I tend to cut Maurice Benard some slack because I remember when he was precisely written as Latino (even after his Greek/Irish father was introduced into the canvas) down to the marriage to the Godawful Lily and the rivalry (however scant) with Miguel back in the 90s. As much as I hold him accountable for being a lazy-ass actor, I'm certainly not going to blame him for TIIC's decision to whitewash his tired character into a terrible Italian stereotype.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If I were to compare the Hubbards (or rather, Angie and Jesse) to the shoddy way that the rest of the ABCD soaps treated Black characters over the past decade and change, I'd say that AMC did the best job. Did they get the stories that were worthy of their legendary status? No, but the writing could've been a lot worse for them (relatively speaking, of course).

As for Frankie, he's another example of a character with the potential to be more than what they'd written for him. It's too bad that they saddled him with the AMC version of Christel Khalil (though, to be fair, I'm not sure if Denise Vasi is prone to CK's self-hate issues) because I thought that it contributed to his light being dimmed.

• Members

As long as Ryan Lavery was considered the ultimate man on AMC, Frankie was never going to get any respect. If AMC hadn't been canceled Frankie would now be playing second fiddle to Griffin. One of the things that reeeeally galled me about AMC was the treatment of Frankie and Natalia. The children of a bonafide super couple got treated like dayplayers while a character like Marissa got shoved down our throats day after day.

• Members

I can't speak for GL, but you're right about OLTL. I've had my issues with their Latino stereotype (i.e.: the characters being portrayed as jealous, possessive, and quick-tempered), but at least they weren't saddled with shiteous Eye-talian personas in a sad attempt to keep a character ethnic without committing to their actual heritage.

I'd cite Talia Sayid as a positive representation of a Middle Eastern character, but she, too, falls in the casting trap of looking white enough for certain viewers to 'accept'.

• Members

I don't think the treatment of the few black characters who can't be leads in top tier story on soaps overall is good in fact its embarassing in this day and age. I also think that (some) of the ..attrition in the soap audience is due to Black audience they bailed and started watching BET and such..we waited and waited and never got much respect from these soaps so they started their own (& reality shows).

Its 2012 Kerry Washington's Olivia Pope (Scandal) is the only lead actress (African American) on a primeTime show (speaking of CBS, ABC, NBC etc)...so there you have it. Nothing has changed.

Didn't Randi's story come on she was a prostitute; Frankie wanted to save her; Angie didn't like her then and all that.

• Members
IDA on that. While true in most cases, it's not for all. I always felt like I was watching an educated Latina when viewing Tea on OLTL. She had an ethnic look to her and she puts a Hispanic spin on many of the words she uses. I also always got a kick out of her breaking out and speaking Spanish even though I rarely knew what she was saying. She may be one of the exceptions b. lord knows she got alot of airtime. The Vegas were also portrayed as the Latinos they were for the most part

Archived