Hope Solo's Surprising Revelations about DWTS...

Angela

• Members

Maksim is denying it, more or less. I actually believe her. Their interactions were always so tense and uncomfortable. He had a palpable agitation towards her and her inability to improve after the initial good start.

From USA Today...

When Olympic star Hope Solo was partnered with pro Maks Chmerkovskiy on Dancing with the Stars in Season 13 last year, things got a little bit physical.

We saw Maks shove Hope during a rehearsal segment that was broadcast on the show. But that was it. Now, the soccer star has released a memoir, Solo: A Memoir of Hope in which she says Maks did much more than that.

"He was often nasty," she writes, "swearing at me and being harshly critical. ... I didn't like being treated like that, but I could take it."

She continues: "He manhandled me in rehearsals from the start, pushing me, whacking my stomach, bending my arms roughly. I thought that was just how it went – how dancers worked with each other. I was tough. I could take it.

"But it kept getting worse," Hope continued. "One day, Maks was trying to put me in a certain position and hit my stomach so hard with his open palm that I had a red handprint there for the rest of the day."

She writes again that she "could tough it out."

During the rehearsal for a show, she writes, "Maks was rough and mean with me, flinging me and pushing me around. I could see the shocked looks on the faces of the other dancers. So maybe this isn't normal behavior, I thought." Derek Hough, she writes, stepped in to work with her for the rest of the day.

Another time, Hope writes that Maks was so angry with her at one moment during a rehearsal for the Halloween show that he slapped her. "He wanted my head in a specific position. To achieve that, he slapped me across the face. Hard."

She adds that "he was extremely apologetic," and ABC offered her a new partner after the incident, but she declined.

"I didn't want to end Maks' career," she says, and feared she would come off looking like a "prima donna." The slap was caught on camera and shown to Maks, but later disappeared, she writes.

What's also interesting is that Hope claims that Maks created drama during a live show to keep them on the competition, saying Maks intentionally mocked judge Len Goodman after learning that there had been "some secret memo" circulating that they would be eliminated that week. It "supposedly saved us for another week."

ABC has not commented.

On Thursday, as pages from Hope's memoir surfaced, Maks' manager, Lizzie Grubman, told The Clicker he had no comment. But without naming anyone, Maks wrote on Twitter, "Always hated hypocrites and liars ... but when someone is both AND an opportunist, I just feel bad for them. Can't win at someone's expense ..."

And Kirstie Alley, who was partnered with Maks during Season 12 and will dance with him again during the upcoming Season 15, tweeted: "I shall bite thine tongue, lest I get into a girl fight that I would surely lose without a hammer in my hand...wink.png... ouch! bloody tongue."

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am sure this is true. Maks is a douche bag....he is so full of himself. I would have asked for another partner. I know she didnt want to come off as a beyotch but she was in her right to request him gone. He has no business on that show.

• Members

So they offered to switch partners and she didn't do it because it would ruin his career? Okay, so why did she save it and use it as the main talking point to sell her book? This is going to be worse for his career. I have to question this only because he got along great with other partners. This seems a little fishy. I always question these book revelations.

• Members

She also accused her former coach on the national team in 2007 of shoving her after an argument (that she lost). I think she's a little over dramatic to say the least. I think her rather over the top complaints/twitter rants about broadcasters show that.

• Members

If ABC is concerned that he's abusing their stars, they should remove him from their show. I guess she's no longer concerned about ending his career. When I came across this yesterday, I read they were on friendly terms but this changes things. Even if this is true, she doesn't come off looking any better than he does since she only seems to have exposed it for profit.

• Members

I think some of the responses in here are a syndrome of the society we live in when it comes to a woman against a hot guy "we" like or just when it comes to a woman "we" classify a this negative or a that negative to some degree. The "she seems like a whiney, over-dramatic bitch who's probably over-reacting," "she just likes getting men in trouble." Just because Hope is a soccer player doesn't mean she's immune to letting herself be abused and being okay with it. So many woman think "it's okay, it was just one time" or "he didn't mean it," or "I can help him, or "he isn't really bad, he just has some issues." Her being friendly with him after the competition, for me, doesn't make her accusations ring less true.

Sure, she could be making this up. I happen to believe her. The vibe between them was weird and we saw him getting pushy and very frustrated with her on camera repeatedly. Only his vibe with Brandy came close to comparing. Also, ABC not commenting speaks volumes to me.

• Members

I could care less about whether a guy is good looking or not if he beat a woman. I don't know whether or not he is guilty but if he is then ABC should remove him and they should have done so instead of offering her a new dance partner.

The problem I have with a story like this is there is no where to go with it but a comment. They weren't in a relationship so it's not a case of domestic abuse and she does not seem to indicate that it was ongoing while they were on friendly terms. I am in no way suggesting that being on friendly terms with him after the show means she is lying nor do I think her past is relevant to this.

All I am saying is that it comes across as if her main reason for revealing this is selling her book (though it may be cathartic for her in some way). I haven't heard that she wanted to warn potential dance partners or that she thinks ABC should do anything about him, though they are obligated to if he's abusing people.

I deplore when people (especially women and young girls) make excuses for men hitting women. Evelyn Lozada may be a piece of work but that does not mean she deserves to be abused by her husband. And all those girls saying they would take a beating from Chris Brown is so disappointing. Since her interview with Oprah, I have seen renewed accusations by Chris Brown fans who blame Rihanna for what happened and said she instigated it. He should never have laid a hand on her and if she did hit him, he should have detached himself from her and walked away. I am disappointed in Brandy for working with him but that's her business. Parents should never hold these people up as role models for their children.

• Members

Okay, I'll buy that from both of you ;)

Even if I had pre-conceived thoughts about Hope as a person, ABC not commenting really does tell me all I need to know about this situation. Maksim is one of their stars from one of their biggest programs and they could have just said her accusation(s) is(are) false.

Archived