The ABBA thread

I Am A Swede

• Members

This thread was inspired by the Guns 'n' Roses thread, and the 25 year anniversary of their album release. When I read that I realized that this year is also full of anniversaries for the best pop group ever (tongue.png ), ABBA! wub.pngwub.png

It's 40 years since they released their first single as a group:

It's 35 years since they reached #1 on the Billboard charts for the first, and only, time:

It's 30 years since they released their last single:

and, it's 20 years since the release of their best-selling album ever, ABBA Gold.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

About 5 years ago, I discovered Agnetha's swedish language solo work, and I LOVE them. I think her vocals are better in her native tongue, she's obvioously more comfortable in her phrasing. That first album is very impressive, when you consider a 17 year old girl wrote these songs:

• Members

A fact that may not be that well known is that all four of the ABBA members were already quite successful artists before ABBA. Benny and Björn were members of two of the biggest bands in Sweden at this time, Benny in Hep Stars and Björn in Hootenanny Singers. Agnetha had a very successful solo career with several hit songs behind her. Anni-Frid was perhaps less successful than the other three, but she nevertheless had a thriving career.

This is the very first song that Benny and Björn wrote together back in 1965. It's called "Isn't it easy to say" and it was recorded by Hep Stars, with Benny on keyboard.

• Members

And this is the most recent hit from Benny and Björn. A song called "En dag i sänder" (One day at a time), recorded by Benny's new band, Benny Anderssons Orkester, with Helen Sjöholm as lead singer.

They still know how to write wonderful songs..... wub.png

• Members

Great songs. Hasta Manana was done as a tribute to Connie Francis, who was Agnetha's favorite singer, or one of her favorites.

A few of my favorite ABBA songs that don't get any attention. Masterpieces, especially the last two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mrmKwFE1wY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6HyB7OMW-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcKTIiX3Q8E

Really didn't like the haircut Frida had in ABBA's last year.

• Members

As we all know ABBA will never re-unite, and even though Björn and Benny still write songs together most of what they write now is completely different from the ABBA sound. This song is probably the nearest thing to ABBA they've written in the last few decades. It was recorded in both a Swedish and an English version, both with Helen Sjöholm at the microphone.

Swedish:

English:

Archived