The Avengers Movie Thread

Cheap21

• Members

This thread will obviously have spoilers so if you havent seen then dont read on.

Saw it last night with some friends and it was literally the BEST comic film ever. Its so much better than the rest in so many ways and Id reccommend it to everyone.

I didnt like BW in Iron Man 2 and was prepared to be dissapointed with her as the sole female Avenger but she impressed me. Probably bc Whedon was director but he made sure she was a strong female role and she was very formidable despite having no super powers like the other big guns. She rocked and was one of the highlights of this

So many action sequences and they were all very well done. The final one with the team working together was fantastic.

I think all the actors did great. Downy Jr was one of the breakout stars as Tony Starks and I loved the chocie of Ruffalo as Banner. They guy who plated Loki was also especially good in his part.

I thought Hawkeye was a dissapointment. I really dont want to see him return in a sequel.

Id give this 5 stars. Im tempted to go see it again

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hawkeye is, or was, a great character in the comics. From what I've read he is kind of just in this to fill out the ranks.

How was the dialogue? Was it that Whedon-type snappy patter at all times?

• Members

Dialogue was great. Lots of great lines and funny moments. Ive seen some people complain that they wish there was more character development but IDA. Thats what the previous films were there for; to set introduce them so that this wouldnt be an origins flick. Hawkeye could have used some development but give then scope of the film, I dont think it was necesary. He was boring and underdeveloped,. Maybe the home release will have some cut scenes to flesh him out. I did like the interactions and smaller moments between the characters though

• Members

I saw the Avengers. It was pretty enjoyable. I wanted to be entertained and I was. There was some snappy dialogue patter but not enough to overwelm the film or the characters. Patter was there when it needed to be there. And RDJ's Tony Stark is the definition of patter. On the whole, there was a sombre side to things, being that the Avengers were there to prevent an alien invasion and all. Scarlett was decent as the Black Widow and her opening scene beating up a bunch of guys while tied to a chair was pretty great. And while Hawkeye did disappear for part of the film (being that Loki had him under his spell), I liked Jeremy Renner's portrayal and still think there was some sweet chemistry between Renner and ScarJo. Rumor has it that they hooked up on set but this was around the time that she was all about Sean Penn's mangy ass so I doubt it somehow.

Also loved Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk, but then I have always had a crush on Mark Ruffalo. I do think he gave one of the best performances.

Also really liked Agent Clarke (was that his name?) and was stunned and sad when -- you know!

Thor and Capt America were decent. The actor who portrayed Loki (Tom Hiddleston) was great and very smiley, but in some ways this villain was kind of weak. When Hulk biffed him up, I was LMAO.

• Members

I loved The Avengers. I thought the set up was slow, but once it got going, it was great. It had good comedic moments and was action packed to the end. Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark/Iron Man and Mark Ruffalo's David Banner/Hulk were the best of the Avengers. Downey Jr. and Ruffalo are the strongest actors in the cast so that was not a surprise. I liked how they made the Hulk with Ruffalo's features. Whedon says that he wants to make a Hulk movie with Ruffalo so it might happen.

I liked Loki also. The actor was very good, but I agree that Loki was not very menacing or scary. When the Hulk slammed him back and forth, I along with the whole audience just about died with laughter. Coulson's death was heartbreaking, especially considering that he was such a minor character. He was so brave and determined.

I have seen Jeremy Renner in supporting roles in The Avengers and Ghost Protocol. I am looking forward to see him staring in The Bourne Legacy.

I thought that Renner and Johnasson were pretty sparky as Hawkeye and the Black Widow. I don't usually speculate, but if something romantic happened between them, I would not be surprised.

• Members

There are rumors that separate Hawkeye and Black Widow films are in the works. I also read a rumor that the Black Widow will be in the Captain America II movie. However, the comic fans will freak out if Hawkeye and the Black Widow have a romance. It does not happen in the comic books.I think the studio will be fools not to build on the chemistry between Renner and Johansson.

• Members

It was a long, long time ago, but Hawkeye's intro into the comics was initially turning to crime due to not being respected as a hero, and falling into the Black Widow's web (at that time she was working for the KGB). Over time, she fell in love with him, but their relationship broke up by the time they had both fully reformed.

• Members

In the film there is clearly a serious bond between Hawkeye and the Widow but they don't clarify if it's romantic or platonic and it's left ambiguous at best.

I didn't think Scarlett could handle the part but I thought she did exceptionally well, and while Hawkeye has a plot-oriented supporting role for much of the film he comes back in force in the final act. Mark Ruffalo is also excellent - everyone's saying he steals the movie which is probably why he just got signed to a major Marvel movie deal.

My only real complaint about the film, relatively minor, is I would've liked a bit more for Captain America.

• Members

Maybe they can cast his old co-star Meg Ryan to play Destiny in the next X-Men movie.

I wonder how interested they really are in Captain America, as a franchise, as I've never quite understood the casting of Chris Evans. His costume also seems unpopular.

So did you say that Scarlet Witch is back in the Avengers now?

• Members

They are interested enough to greenlight a second Captain America film. Chris Evans was a great choice as Cap A. He did great in his solo film and his costume looked pretty good here. I dont like the changes to it here. He did good with what they gave him but they made this a true ensemble cast and he didnt stand out as leader of the team till the final battle where he was delegating roles.

I was dissapointed in him as a character as he came across too uptight and serious but I think that makes sense as he's been plucked from his own time and in a new world 70 years later. He doesnt have his family, friends and personal connections anymore. All he has is his mission. That has to do something to someone and unfortunately being an ensemble film, it really wasnt touched upon much at all. Im guessing they are saving that for his solo sequel.

No other Avengers were mentioned in the film. As far as we know Scarlet Witch doesnt exist in this universe

• Members

I'm not sure if that type of character works in the superhero movies out now. I think they would have been better off casting Renner as Captain America and Chris Evans as Hawkeye, since Renner seems like a dour actor anyway.

I was curious about the comics, with Scarlet Witch - I definitely don't think she'll ever be in a movie. Thanks though.

• Members

Maybe not by himself but as far as in a team, he's balanced out by the more outgoing and/or lighter personalities like Tony and Stark Bruce Banner. I dont think he will be as uptight in Captain America 2. I can see Evans as Hawkeye but definetly not Renner as Cap

As for SW, I found this page via Goggle Images. It might answer your question

http://insidepulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/AvsX014.jpg

• Members

Thanks. Wow, Tony Stark has become a lot more forgiving since I stopped reading Marvel (he had to give a big UN speech and she, "evil" at the time, made it look like he'd fallen off the wagon, horribly damaging his reputation). It's very touching to see Carol Danvers fly her away - they were good friends, and apparently still are. I have no interest in The Vision and haven't since he was ruined 20 years ago, so no pity for him. ph34r.png

• Members

I agree. Evans was great in Captain America and I am looking forward to the second movie. He was perfect in the role. He has that "it" factor that movie action stars have. I think the same about Hemsworth (Thor). However, they like the other heroes in The Avengers had to share screen time with the ensemble cast and were definitely overshadowed by Downey Jr. and Ruffalo. Captain America is clearly designated to play the foil/straight man against Stark's irreverent attitude in this movie. I actually found the intense conversations between Stark and Banner more interesting and profound. As brilliant scientists, they share a stronger connection. I was not surprised that Tony was able to cut through Banner's self-hate by focusing on their love for science and using science to force Banner to deal with the struggle to accept himself. It was only at the end when Captain America was giving the orders that we were reminded about Captain America's military background, strong leadership abilities, and charisma. Again, this applies to Thor who led his own team of Norse gods in his movie.

As expected The Avengers broke box office records: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-06/-the-avengers-has-record-setting-200-3-million-in-sales.html

Archived