B&B - May 2012 Discussion Thread

• Members

I thought Caroline was brought in partially because Rick needed a story.

I don't think Caroline is working out that well so far, so I think getting rid of Hope would be a mistake. Steffi is not a heroine, and writing her as one takes away a lot of what seemed to draw viewers to her in the first place.

If Hope was written as someone who was not supposed to be some type of mentally disturbed "homewrecker" then she would have more story potential.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well she was but they could have gone a different way with her characterization. So far she has been coming across perfect, pure, innocent, etc....just as Hope was pre- her current story. Just as Hope was going down hill, they bring in another young blonde (who almost resembles her) with a very similar personality. Caroline did come across redundant as they could have made her more edgy, but they didnt. To me, she comes across like Hope without the the virgin stamp

• Members

I think they need new young male characters if they want more triangles. Thomas doesn't click with most characters, and I don't see anything with Rick.

If it were me, I would put Rick with Amber, put Thomas with Dayzee (and have her start fighting against the Forresters), or write Thomas out for a while. Bring in someone new for Caroline, either that or don't write about her love life at all.

• Members

I forgot to say that I did enjoy the scenes yesterday with Liam/Steffy in the hospital, and when she realized Bill had come up with the paparazzi plans. The performances were good, and the dialogue for Steffy was just on the right side of cheesy when she was talking about love.

I've complained about the pacing but I think the acting and writing in the Liam/Hope scenes were good too.

It's more fun to bitch about a show than really talk about it, and I do the former most of the time, but for all my complaints about what Brad Bell's done with B&B, I do think it's the best soap on now.

• Members

I think for once Brad is doing a good job of making both woman look pretty sympathetic. I really want Hope to dump Liam now, before I wanted Steffy to dump him. Liam's lecture to Hope put me back in her corner to some extent. What a trifling tool he is. I wish she had turned the tables on him and asked how she could marry him, if he doesn't plan to be there for her when life gets tough. Plenty of woman break under the stress of motherhood or losing a parent. That's not a reason to jump ship.

• Members

I was going to say that the still was the best the show has offered in a long time... then I find out you created it Cheap. It figures it came from a fan. Honestly, someone over there should hire you for PR stills. The group they currently have make some truly odd choices, year after year. Your banner is stunning. It makes me think of the glory days of this show, and it hits all the right dramatic points.

I watch about one BnB scene (not even a full ep) about once every couple of months. I don't get the Hope storyline whenever I read about it. Is this some medieval warning about women losing their virginity before marriage? "Do and Lose it?" Steffy, the woman who "gave it all away" before she got married is then the suitable partner for Liam? Virginal Hope isnt't? Stefy, who laughed about Hope's virginity, is the better woman? Nothing makes sense about this storyline. I'm sorry that Hope is now "damaged" over this and that this couldn't just be a story about two people in love (Hope and Liam) who are fighting their way back to each other. Taylor brags about her skills as a psychiatrist. Is she still clueless about Bill's involvement in all of this? Does it not bther her at all?

Ultimately I despise Liam and Steffy so I don't care what happens to either of them, but taking Hope down in the process is not ok. Add the creepiness of Bill still being attracted to Steffy, but fighting to get her back in his son's bed and it's all stuff that makes me NOT miss watching this show. Reading about it is more than enough. (Carl, my BnB psychic twin, I can't stay aay from your comments!)

• Members

I think the issue is more that Hope allowed herself to be pushed into going against her own morals. For once, I actually agree with the "moral" here. Hope did not want to have sex with a man who was still married, but everyone around her was acting like that was a crazy, puritanical idea. She let herself be pushed into it and she couldn't handle it. She even said today that Brooke "led the charge".

Other than that, I agree that the whole virginity thing was completely lame.

• Members

Taylor doesn't know about Bill's schemes, I don't think. She does disagree with his Tom Cruise-esque frothing about therapy, in the usual Taylor way, which is, "I personally can't agree with you...but you're absolutely right about the rest." (She used to do that with Stephanie too - Bill really is the new Stephanie).

The story needs someone who will challenge Bill. I don't think it will happen though.

• Members

I guess that's why they brought Justin in to feebly try to talk to Bill.

I guess he meant if she started popping pills again in those circumstances.

So weird seeing Jon Hensley. I was trying to figure out if he'd had Botox.

• Members

I see what you are saying Carl, but I guess I feel like if this were some epic love, he wouldn't dump her due to addiction. The problem with this story is that it didn't really develop in a realistic way. Are we supposed to see Hope as an addict? She only took a few non prescribed pills and she isn't even the one who went seeking them.

As this story has played out, it almost seems like they are taking issue with people needing meds for psychiatric reasons. I guess they were trying to educate us on the dangers of internet drugs, but that lesson is about 10 years out of date.

I think it would have been a lot more timely if Hope were doing things like doctor shopping.

Archived