Mad Men Season 5

EricMontreal22

• Members

Terrific 2 hours! I was a bit worried that after a year and a half, it would be hard to jump back in, but after ten minutes I felt fully back. Only real complaint was not enough of the star of the show Sally!

As for January Jones, it pains me to admit, but she's a horrible actress--yet she's PERFECT for the exasperating, but sometimes relatable and sympathetic Betty. This season story and her pregnancy means she's heavily featured in only half the episodes but in the final two seasons, 6 and 7 apparently she will play a key role.

Only real problem was since this was two hours and counted as two episodes we only have 11 left, already sad.png

This will now be in my head all week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vFOzG3GYqo

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got the box set of S5 for my birthday. Once I started watching, I really couldn't stop. It was a Mad Men marathon.

It was a slow start to the season (it always is with this show) but I disagree wiith complaints that Season 5 was too difficult or the worst. IMO, parts of Season 4 were tougher for me. The last 6 episodes of Season 5 were truly stellar, especially The Other Woman and Fees and Commissions. The Other Woman is one of the finest pieces of television I have ever seen -- sexism against women has never been treated so fulsomely or compellingly as it was in that episode. Don throwing those dollar bills in Peggy's face but later trying to "save" Joan -- Don, too, ran the gamut from A to Z in one episode.

As for Fees and Commissions, Sally owned that episode, and having her run back to her mom after she started her period was truly touching. January Jones did so well in that episode, too. IA with you Eric that while she is far from a perfect actress, she is perfect for the role of Betty. I actually missed not seeing more of her this season. I could have done with a touch less Megan and a touch more Betty, though I by no means hate Megan like many fans do. Joan remains my favourite, especially the way she called out her husband "You were NEVER a hero before we were married -- and you know what I'm talking about." I was disappointed that Roger didn't stick up for Joan more when the Jaguar issue came up. I thought she was more than just a one-time lay for him. I did love Roger's rendition of "Frere Jacques" though!

Lane hanging himself in his office because he couldn't gas himself in his jag was both darkly funny (if I can put it that way) and heartbreaking. Seeing Ken, Don and Pete try and take the body down from its noose (the same noose Don was doodling a few episodes earlier?) really stuck in my mind for hours afterwards.

Honestly, I cannot enumerate the ways I love this show. It is like diving into a sweeping story. I cannot wait for Season 6. this show has far from disappointed me this season -- instead, it has delivered on my hopes.

• Members

I've always considered January Jones to be a terrible actress - all the more reason why I credit the fantastic writing for providing strengths that cast her in a better light than she deserves to be (i.e.: the characterization of Betty Francis).

That said, the constant featuring of Megan - as well as the nauseating asskissing of Jessica Pare - needs to stop because it held this season back from being as flawless as I expected it to be. As much as folks rag on MW for featuring his son on the show, I'd rather see him pop up once in a while over having Megan shoved down my throat.

And because I'll never get tired of saying it - bring back Sal.

• Members

CH, I knew going in (since I started watching in real time somewhere in the middle of Season 2 after watching Season 1 on DVD at the recommendation) that folks would come and go on this show, but we've seen the return of Paul, Duck, Ken, even Midge's high-as-a-kite ass (I'm sure I've missed others), yet no Sal since that last desolate scene of him cruising in Central Park in Season 3?

I wasn't crazy about giving Roger and Joan a love child, either, (and this is coming from someone who can't stand either character or their epic love) but I would rather watch that play out ad nauseaum over Freddy Mercury in a Wig being trotted around as the shiniest trophy on the show.

• Members

I would think that with Peggy now gone from SCDP, this would be the perfect time to bring Sal back into the company and have his creative nous go up against new hot-shot Ginsberg. I loved Sal, too, and it always bummed me out that the last we saw of him was in Central Park after being so horribly and unjustly fired after he stuck to his guns and REFUSED to do what Joan later DID. Don's homophobia is an issue which should have been dealt with and can still be if they bring back Sal. Especially as the late 60s was a watershed time for gay rights -- the Stonewall riots were in 1969! I wouldn't mind seeing Rachel again, either.

I'm glad Cooper is still around, though.

• Members

Cat, was it really homophobia in regards to Don or was he just living in a time where homosexuality was an embarrassment? Don saw Sal as a perv, which was appropriate considering the times in which they live. That said, "perverts" are not particular in their bed partner selection, so Don felt Sal should have slept with the client who wanted him to? Am I wrong in my interpretation of that scene?

• Members

Not at all the wrong interpretation.! I just have to wonder whether Don was all about keeping the account whatever the cost!

As far as homosexuality was concerned at that time (and still around today), I think it was a very fine line between tagging an entire group of people as "perverts" and outright hating/fearing them. I just remembered the look in Don's eyes when he told Sal he had seen him in the hotel room -- the outright disgust, the nasty belittling. Jon Hamm played it really perfectly and wasn't afraid to "go there" with his character. It was a shock for us modern audiences but you are right -- homosexuality at the time was seen as complete perversion, a sexual/psychological aberration.

• Members

Don absolutely wanted that account and he was not going to lose it and not take action against the man he blames and now considers an expendable little pervert. Don may have gotten around to firing Sal anyhow, but the loss of the account sped things up.

Don did look at Sal with such disgust after seeing him in that hotel room.

Archived