The Barbra Streisand Thread

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

A lot of story aspects from the show haven't aged that well to be honest, and it's only very loosely based on Fanny Brice's life. I think there's been revival attempts before, but either funding wasn't there or they've had issues finding someone to succeed Barbra.

Funny twist of irony - Beanie was also in the Hello, Dolly! revival starring Bette Midler a few years back. Hello, Dolly!, of course, was the musical that completely shut Funny Girl out of the Tony awards in 1964 with Carol Channing besting Barbra for the Best Actress award. Barbra got her revenge when she was (mis) cast in the film version, however. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Barbra's 70's peak is something very special - she was regularly topping both the pop charts and box office at this point in her career. We've never really seen someone since who had such control over both entertainment industries to the same extent. Lady Gaga is trying so hard to follow in her footsteps but does not have the same STAR power or prowess. 

Here are her Grammy wins for 'Evergreen' - Best Female Pop Vocal performance (very strong category that year with Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Carly Simon, and Debbie Boone also nominated), and Sony of the Year (which was a tie with 'You Light Up My Life').

Edited by BetterForgotten

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I could've predicted that the scale of the show would seem too small, or the casting of Jane Lynch as her mother, or it would look too dark, but I never thought they'd all be so critical of Beanie's vocal range - oof.

Probably didn't help that they opened on Barbra's 80th birthday...

• Members

The casting struck me as odd—that part requires stratospheric vocal chops and a big presence, and I’d never known Beanie as a vocalist/entertainer—but she seems so likable and eager that I was really rooting for her to do well here. Man, I hope she knows not to read the reviews. She’s getting savaged.