New book to reveal sex secrets of Hollywood's golden age

alphanguy74

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, when he claims he wants to tell the stories now because it won't hurt anyone (ie cuz they're dead) all I hear is "I BADLY need money". I dunno, haven't we had books like this before? And in my experience they always turn out to be disappointments that read as half truths and rumours I've already read (not that I'd read such trash).

That Reuters article is kinda clueless--implying that in the current era of TMZ young people would be shocked to hear how gossip like this managed to get covered up back in the day. While it's true that during the Studio System the studios did manage to protect their stars from gossip much more (partly as they usually had deals with the star rags and society was different), when it comes to info about gay and lesbian prostitutes, etc, or even relationships that stuff still usually manages to be mainly hidden.

• Members

Well that's exactly it. The Reuters article implies that nowadays we get proof and quotes about secretly gay and lesbian celebs all the time, but really the gossip we get about Cruise, Travolta, Craig, etc, etc, ad nauseum is the same gossip you could pretty easily find (or read between the lines) back in the 40s and 50s, even considering our society is a lot more accepting (even if Hollywood isn't much).

• Members

I don't think much of anything has changed in Hollywood. Roles for gays and lesbian characters decrease more by the year, and the only actors who come out are comic actors and supporting actors - and even many of them stay quiet.

There's no reason for anyone to come out, and unless someone is going around spewing anti-gay bile, they should not be outed. But I do laugh when an actor wears wedding rings with another man (until someone apparently got the memo as that doesn't happen now), and adopted that man's children, yet his sexuality is never, ever discussed in the press. And then there was that bizarre flap over whether or not Chris Colfer - who makes Liberace look butch - was gay, until finally he said he was.

• Members

It is frustrating when people go on about all the actors coming out now--and unless they're theatre actors (where miraculously audiences seem able to accept out gay actors in straight romantic roles! Wow!), they nearly all are comic or character actors -

As for your second point--I don't think any actor should be outed against their will either. I know a lot of political gays (and Perez types who seem to think they're somehow political) feel it's for the greater good, and while some of them I agree with on most other points, I don't there. But then you have a situation like Luke Evans where it's just infuriating -- I mean coming out (and so graphically) as gay when you're a high end West End musical theatre star, and then suddenly being shoved even further back into the closet and hoping nobody remembers when you attempt to get Hollywood fame? I'm sure him or more likely his agent thinks it's the only way, but I can't help to be disappointed, and well annoyed by it.

• Members

Oh yeah, I think I linked to them the week they surfaced

they were great finds. It is so interesting to see these A listers being totally normal in such random gatherings of people you don't associate with each other. Lauren Bacall and Judy Garland you can easily connect, but why would Ben Gazarra and Jane Fonda be hanging out with them? Just famous people hanging out with other people because they are famous too. I wish someone would interview Lauren Bacall as she watched those tapes and get her anecdotes on record.

• Members

I'd never even heard of Luke Evans - in the photos I saw when I Googled he looks like Eric Balfior's ugly brother. Good luck making a great career.

It is kind of funny though, how transparent they are. Yet they are allowed to be, even if anyone would know they're gay, like Nathan Lane, who hid it and has seemed a little bitter about gay matters in stuff since coming out (remember how he was with Brokeback Mountain). Or Rupert Everett, who is sure he would have been a big star if he wasn't known as being gay.

There are no real "stars" now, but as much as closeting can help a career, it isn't enough on its own. Just look at someone like Bradley Cooper, who has had these rumors going around, and whose sole claim to fame is The Hangover movies which no one saw for the "stars" in it, and people mostly saw because it's yet another Hollywood movie that puts women and minorities in their place. He was People's Sexiest Man Alive and had a cover photo looking like a goofy neighbor on a sitcom.

• Members

Don't forget that in the 50s Ben Gazarra was one of the most respected method actors primarily for his stage work as the original Brick in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Newman was his understudy) and Hatful of Rain, so I assume that was some of the connection, but I agree it is pretty fascinating to see the mix and interaction.

Archived