Why Does Hollywood Hate Gay Sex?

EricMontreal22

• Members

I found this article interesting (and even more so the responses from some of the Huffington Post readers who I thought were more liberal than to complain that if they hate gays calling them homophobes is harsh because they are not *scared* but dislike gays)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/04/why-does-hollywood-hate-gay-sex.html

(I've already written a bit in the comments and I atually disagree a bit with the author--and the fact he ignores some key gay movies and tv shows to make his point--but I think it's valid)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most of the article seems to be justifying Hollywood's bigotry. I am not surprised, because as soon as I read that author's name...

http://www.afterelton.com/taxonomy/term/5614

I would like to say I always skip comments, but sometimes I don't. I should, because comment areas will always have ugly racism, nasty homophobia, and a lot of bile or violence about women. That's just what they are. They are cesspools, every time.

• Members

It seems like today while gay characters are more visible... they are eunuchs, pretty much. It goes right along with that new bizarre paradigm of "Let's feminize men by getting rid of all thier body hair, but make sure your fags are ALL straight acting!!!" It's enough to make me run screaming into the night. And as many gay movies as I've seen... I still have yet to see a love scene as beautiful and well done as this. And see it doens't have to be graphic to be beauitful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9imXHxec57o&feature=related

• Members

I've not seen the Line Of Beauty, but I have seen the other two. The scene in Making Love to me is just so dreamy and perfect, the lighting and background music, that's mainly what I'm referring to, you know how i'm always a freak for production style. But the acting was so superb, too. Harry Hamlin's line "Are you sure you want to spoil the mystery?" is just too good. I guess there are comparable scenes in other gay movies, they just don't seem so perfectly executed. I have to say this... on television, the only show in recent years that has not shied away from gay love scenes is (drumroll...) Brothers and Sisters. And it deserves a hell of alot of credit for that.

• Members

Making Love always took itself so seriously, which is fine, and of the era, but the way it was done always kind of annoyed me (the "interviews," going on about naming a child after a favorite poet).

I would say that gay men have been made asexual in films ever since AIDS. I'm not sure why it's enough to warrant an article, especially with that lurid title. Hollywood hates gay men, they hate women, they hate minorities. Hollywood, more than ever, is catered to the Judd Apatow audience - drunk frat boys rule the world.

• Members

YES... you nailed that right on the head, I couldn't quite figure out how to articulate it. For me, it's the ultimate for a gay relationship to have that epic, sweeping treatment onscreen. I want a scene like the final scene with Streisand and Redford in "the Way We Were", and stuff like that. Some of the problem might be that so many gay themed movies have smaller budgets and aren't in the realm of a Hollywood classic. As far as smaller budget gay movies, I think "Latter Days" was really great in that regard. they did an expert job taking a low budget film and making a sweet timeless love story out of it.

• Members

Well, there's always the Eating Out films. LoL

On a more serious note, I do think Shelter was a very romantic tale, but I haven't seen it in awhile to say whether sex scenes were prominent. But I was happily surprised at the ending, with the gay couple becoming the young boys guardian while the mother ran off with her new beau.

This is why I'm so proud of Canadian cinema. It really is underrated, especially Quebec film. And giving me another chance, I must praise Xavier Dolan and his films once again. Ya'll should check out I Killed My Mother and Heartbeats as soon as possible.

• Members

I think Quebec film is underated (another popular gay Quebec film was C.R.A.Z.Y. as well as Lillies which is something of a classic now) and I love Dolan's films though I was getting a bit tired of him always popping up in Montreal media lol. I don't think nearly as highly as

you when it comes to English language Canadian films however.

Eaating Out part 16 or whatever they're at are exactly my problem with so many of the gay indie movies that are churned out. I did like Shelter--I can't remember howgraphic the sex was either, but it was hardly a major release.

• Members

movies/tv are generally made to appeal to the masses. and in america, the majority is still uncomfortable or out right hateful of gays. this isnt just a gay issue tho. its the same reason you dont see many movies with more than one african american in it, why you see almost nothing of Asian, middle eastern, or other races. its appealing to the LCD, white, straight america with hopes/dreams of being upper class. And Hollywood is not about taking chances, surprisingly.

that said, i actually think in the past 10 years gay representation in tv/movies has greatly increased, and for the better.

As for Shelter, i love that movie. Its sex scenes were not like graphic and in your face, but they showed a lot of kissing, touching, etc. Any more would not have fit the tone of the movie to be honest.

Archived