Movies that made you cry

EricaKane70

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ITA with the above, though I haven't seen Rent. Just want to add Leaving Las Vegas. There's not a reason given as to why Nick Cage's character is suicidal and decides to drink himself to death. And Elizabeth Shue was heartbreaking in it as well.

• Members

Near the end of "American Beauty," Lester (Kevin Spacey) is about to have sex with Mena Suvari's teenage character. He unbuttons her shirt, and they prepare to have sex. Then, sitting there with her breasts exposed, she tells him that she's a virgin. He closes her shirt back up, and with respect, he tells her that he can't do this with her. For her sake. Afterwards, he takes her to the kitchen and she gets a sandwich to eat. She looks up and him and asks him how he's doing. He pauses for a moment, smiles, and says, "It's been a long time since someone's asked me that... I'm great." His final moment of contentment, clarity and happiness -- what he had been yearning for -- moments before being killed. After being shot in the head, his daughter Jane comes down the stairs with her boyfriend, Ricky, after hearing the gunshot. Ricky looks at Lester's dead face, smiles slightly (noting earlier in the movie that he finds beauty in death), and then realizes what he's staring at with horror. Lester's voice then narrates how that 'one second' of your life flashing before your eyes just before death isn't one second at all, but instead it's a moment that goes on forever. He recalled the times in his life... sitting on the grass and looking up at the stars as a little boy... how his grandmother's hands felt like leather/paper... his wife, Caroline... his daughter, both young and grown up. The movie closes with Lester's voice talking about how he can't help but feel "nothing but gratitude for every second of my stupid little life. You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry." Then the screen turns to black. "You will someday." Ahh! Chills. That entire last fifteen minutes of the movie just gives me chills and makes me cry.

Something about that scene totally makes me want to cry. It's just so simple, and so sweet. So... I don't know. I love it.

• Members

-Schindler's List

-Passion of the Christ

-A Walk to Remember

-Sophie's Choice

The saddest part for me was when Caroline realises what she was going to do and then goes inside and opens the closet doors and then grabs his shirts, hugging them and then she breaks down and LOSES it! Beautifully acted SO sad! And when Lestor says "And Janie...." and it flashes to her as a little girl and then when she is older...SO SAD!

-Schindler's List

-Passion of the Christ

-A Walk to Remember

-Sophie's Choice

Archived