Soaps on DVD: Sustainable idea or passing fad?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

30 episodes would be easy to do since a lot of shows have around that many episodes or the same amount of content including extras. It all depends on what they want to do. I'd like to see nice big collectors sets as well. Things well thought out, like a 40 episode collection of the Best of Erica Kane with extras, commentary, etc. Someone needs to produce that set. Or a TRUE Best Of collection for these PGP soaps, once they have a better idea of what scattered pre-79 episodes are available. They need to build towards something like that to put in stores.

• Members

Maybe they can do a "Best of" for each year. For example, a Days of our Lives "Best of 1985" box with 20, 25 or 30 episodes from that year. Or they release storyline DVDs. Like 20 episodes of Aremid, 20 episodes of Lady in a Cage, 20 episodes of Maison Blanche, etc. But do it without editing out the other stories.

I agree with those who prefer DVDs over streaming. DVDs are my own while streamed episodes can be taken down. And some sites only have streaming for US and Canada.

• Members

I would LOVE to see some classic storylines released on DVD, but to answer the question posed in the thread title, I don't think it would be a sustainable idea. The "best of" episodes might work because, the theory would go, these would be the payoff episodes that people are familiar with and would want to see again. Beyond that...I doubt it would be profitable to continue. I don't think there's a large enough market of people who'll want to slog through episode after episode (again) to get to the payoff. Chris B mentions editing a storyline together -- which would be my favorite way to view these -- but I think the costs to put that together would prevent that from happening. It would need to be a labor of love from someone who has the tapes. Doubt that there's anyone in that position who has the time, money, or inclination to do it though, particularly if they don't sell well. How has ATWT's "best of" sold?

• Members

Maybe "streaming" isn't the right word, but I meant like what I do with my Roku via amazon.com digital video. I buy TV series and movies that I'll own digitally, forever. There's just no physical dvd, it's all stored in my account and I watch on my TV via the Roku or just on my computer. It's basically just like how you could download and save the p&G soaps when they were on AOL, which was of course free, but I'd be willing to pay a little.

Archived