December 5-9, 2011

Toups

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The last time I checked, Dirty Soap wasn't even drawing one million viewers. The problem is that unlike in the 1980's, soap actors are not household names. Twenty years ago networks wouldn't have had a problem with stunt casting daytime actors in prime time, but that's not the case anymore. I think there was a recent article that talked about this subject. At one point, people didn't even have to watch a soap in order to recognize some of the actors names, but that isn't the case anymore, and because of that, there's really no point of airing a reality serious where soap "stars" are the main draw.

• Members

But how known were the Jersey Shore crew before their reality show became a hit? Or the Kardashians?

The point being....a reality show doesn't need name recognition to be a hit, so even the modest fame of soap "stars" can be beneficial to a reality show. It just has to catch on.

(I say this as a person who despises reality TV, BTW).

• Members

But even though the Jersey Shore people became somewhat recognizable names, when the show launched the draw wasn't that it was about them. That's probably not the best way to put that. MTV had already done some shows about people living on the Jersey Shore, and how they did certain outrageous things, so they were just continuing with that. With soap stars, what would be the main focus, the thing that would get people to tune in, since other than the small group that watches soaps, nobody would be familiar with these people. The only other draw would be seeing into the lives of people who are on soaps, and given that soaps aren't popular anymore, it would be hard to get a production company and advertisers who would support that idea.

The show never had a lot of viewers, so it's not like people tuned in, saw that it was boring, and decided not to watch anymore.

• Members

The two lowest shows were the gambling resolution... oh, swell. I think Days' young set is actually the best it's been in a while, but the gambling story was ill-conceived and the resolution was very quick. I think the Chad/Abby/Mel triangle has a lot of potential, but it's uneven plotting like this that drags down stories.

I want to see Marlene and Darrell succeed. They're first-time headwriters. Yes, their stuff isn't perfect, but it's better than it was at Dena's worst level. I'll stick with it. :)

• Members

I don't care for the younger set, can't stand Chad or Melanie! As for the new writers, they should have made a huge splash BC Daytime soaps are in serious danger. Soaps have been using the same story's ( back from the dead, long lost child, being married 20 billion times, etc) decade after decade and its boring and the same thing over and over again. These new writers aren't very creative and I rather watch reruns of Yes Dear and American Dad on TBS during Days BC they are much more entertaining than watching Days.

• Members

I understand the younger set might not be your cup of tea. But we can't have it be all John/Marlena, Carrie/Austin and the returns all the time either. One of the things I have harped on regarding Days is balance. If you don't like the fact the vets have returned... and I like both the vets and the younger characters... then some days you have nothing to watch.

If the show could somehow find a way to shoehorn two to three days a week in for everybody I think Days might be in better shape creatively. I sure hope so, at least... things are getting a little dicey.

• Members

I must say I am rather enjoying DAYS. It is definitely more traditional storytelling and for the most part MMcP and DRT are doing a decent job so far. Other than the God awful web gambling crap I am enjoying the episodes. B&B is just fun and after almost 25 years can make me LOL at the most dramatic of moments. It breaks my heart not to see AMC anymore and to know OLTL will be gone in a matter of weeks. I just hope B&B picks up in the all important demos and surpasses BORING Y&R!

Archived