Great writers, bad stories?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I will admit I did like sections of it (mainly Michael Nader's return and some of the stuff with Samantha Eggar).

But taken as a whole, I could not explain that story if my life depended on it.

TPTB clearly couldn't make up their minds as to whether Alex was really Anna. And then they finally decided that, yes, Alex was Anna...only to (according to Finola Hughes) change their minds again at the very last minute and, consequently, we got those clunky climax scenes with Alex and Charlotte on the plane, which were last-minute re-writes (and kind of a bad throwback to another AMC clunker: the Peg English/Brooke story).

I'm probably alone on this but I think that story was more of mess (albeit not by much) than the Proteus story.

• Members

Wow, i was actually thinking about starting a topic like this, I was also curious to know if Agnes or Irna wrote some clunkers along the way. It's surprising to learn about Agnes's mishaps on AMC, since i always assumed that she was the best out of the top three (Her, Bell and Irna) and people loved her AMC/OLTL despite the fact neither show ever became Number 1. Didn't she also pretty much write off Peter Bergman as Cliff?

I would say Bill Bell's clunker stories were more in the 1995-1997 years based on what other people have said. between the Blade/Rick mess, and other uneveness during those years. I have to admit that despite being solid overall, I still think Bill had a problem with continuity in his shows, and sometimes episodes were broken down a little sloppy. Again not a big deal, but i think it has to do with Bill maybe not adjusting to the hour format as well as the 30 minute format.

• Members

I didn't realize it was #1 for a year, It's surprising that Agnes came back for two years in 1999-2001, I think by then some soaps were already losing their ways, and even if her stories then weren't as good as the ones she wrote in the 70's/80's/early90's I bet it was still nice to have the original voice behind the show then, I guess she came back because ratings had fallen under previous headwriters before her 3rd stint.

Archived