When did soaps start doing next day previews?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The first soap i watched that did those was Passions, and they actually had monthly previews that they started in December 2001 (after the Tabitha and Timmy Christmas show if you guys remember) and throughout the summer of 02 they did those lengthy previews till they had the shortened versions that started in August 2002 that they had till the show was axed.

I also hate how soaps can't show their full closing credits anymore. Seriously, who wants to see more commercials anyways.... rolleyes.gif

The one thing i really miss with the CBS soaps is the "CBS Stereosound where available" logo appearing before the episodes starts. They got rid of those in late 1996 right?

• Members

The last I remember about SOAPnet (I have basic cable and don't have the channel) is that they did show the full credits.....not sure about now. However, I do know that they show the full credits when the episodes are uploaded to abc.com/hulu/etc....

• Members

I am certain that the original poster probably queried contemporary soaps, but the first ever serial to do next day previews was The Edge of Night. From 1956 to 1961, Edge had a "next day" preview at the end of every episode, immediately preceding the closing credits. Announcer Harry Kramer stated, "Watch this scene from tomorrow's/Monday's story." What made these so unusual was that the show was not taped at that point; therefore, the "previews" were enacted live. In order to accomplish this, at least one actor always had to appear in two consecutive episodes.

Archived