When did soaps start doing next day previews?

• Members

Random question but I was wondering when did soaps start doing next day previews.

All I remember is that GL started doing them in 2004. I remember it being the Friday that a pregnant Olivia fell down the stairs at the Beacon after Lizzie had torn the carpet. (that sounds so lame when I type it lol). I also remember B&B doing it like once in 2004/05. What about the others I have no memory of Days and other CBS soaps. And once I started looking at ABCD they had gotten rid of them.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In 1992 "Santa Barbara" had a next day preview although it wasn't clips of the next day's show rather an actor would be in character talking about what he/she will be doing or thinking about doing that next day, it was a brief 15-20 second dialogue of just the character talking to the audience, then it would go right into SB's closing credits. anyone else remember this????

• Members

I thought AMC started with that not long after O.J. They did do recaps during O.J. when the show would get preempted. I remember one in particular where they were in the park and Noah screamed to scare Kendall the hell away and she scurried off all big-eyed...

• Members

I also disliked that. I've noticed that Y&R does their credits almost immediately now. I remember watching the show back in the day and it felt like eight minutes had gone by before they started the credits, and in some cases, they had an almost complete rendition of Nadia's Theme under the longish teaser scene right before the opening rolled.

• Members

AW started doing this in either late 1998 or early 1999.

I'm not sure if this was just done for the reruns on USA, but I have seen an early-80's SFT episode with a "Tommorow on Search" preview coming on right before the closing credits.

Archived