How would you rate Sarah Brown's ROLES In daytime?

• Members

I loved her stint on ATWT. Fans HATED the character, but that usually means the actress is doing her job. It's tough to be the other woman in not one, but two supercouple scenarios (Carly/Jack, Lily/Holden). I loved watching her face off with ATWT's two Emmy winners, Martha and Maura. But what was the deal with the constant wiping her nose with her hand? Gross! Was that a "mannerism" she used in her other roles?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No but she has a mannerism for every character she has played.

Carly - always had to laugh or chuckle before she cried.

Claudia- did a lot of hand waving with her "claws"

And I guess her ATWT character wiped her nose a lot.

• Members

Fans hated her because the role wasn't well written and she brought nothing to the table, not the "love-to-hate" type at all. I'm not a Carjacker either. In fact I much preferred it when Carjack were together and happy because they got less airtime that way lol.

Edit: Well, let me qualify that. Early Carjack I liked. Hogan ruined them and I lost interest.

• Members

^^^She also had a habit of flicking her big ol' crocodile tears away with her index finger like a windshield wiper. There were probably others, but I've forgotten. Maybe she picked up the snot-hand wipe move from KMH. That and a rolling hhhmmmmnnnning as she cried drove me nuts.

• Members

Ditto. When you're playing an abused housewife and can't gain the Carly-haters sympathy, something about you isn't clicking. She was completely miscast in the role, and as it turned out had the same type of problems as S/Aggie.

• Members

I agree with you so much. Brad Bell gave Agnes his best shot, significant airtime, coupled with Jack Wagner (absolutely no chemistry), interaction with the whole canvas. And Sarah Brown just failed to make it work. At no point did she *ever* fit in.

She should have been a Morgan DeWitt type, developed from a passable good girl into a psychotic vixen hell bent on destruction. It would have lasted a year and a half and been fun as hell, could have nabbed her another Emmy.

I just don't think Sarah Brown can play purely sympathetic characters.

• Members

I've seen so many good actors utterly fail with Brad Bell writing that I can't put too much on her. I do think that she had something when she first started on soaps that left and she's never been the same. Anne Heche is the same way, and Laura Wright.

• Members

I think it was an awful character and an awful story. It's how he tends to write. I remember poor Syndey Penny's first episodes revolving around her weeping over a dead dog. I don't know if she even lasted a full year. But SJB definitely didn't manage to make the story work.

• Members

It's always tough for me to separate success and failure with some of the actors because I thought Buxton did well, yet her stories always ended fairly abruptly. Hearst never really had a story. I liked Sean Kanan's work yet they wrote him out. Then there's poor Heather Tom who had crap for several years until they put her with Bill. I have never cared for Gareis as Donna but she still hangs around.

Sorry I don't mean to go off topic.

• Members

Well, it's not as if Lorenzo Lamas was ever highly regarded in the acting department. Bell's had a number of successes as well---he revitalized Lesli Kay for me. By the end of her ATWT stint, I'd completely written her off. Yet she stepped into Felicia's shoes with ease. He kept Ashley viable, Don Diamont shines with an unsuspected depth as compared to Y&R's Brad. I won't say Tom has better writing, but she's no longer the annoying child she was on Y&R either, and it would be easy to fall into the constant victim trap for her.

It's not to say he doesn't shoulder some blame...but I think once it became clear Aggie was more of a victim than SB cared to play, she no longer cared.

• Members

They keep talking love interest for Jack Wagner, but why not bring back Felicia? I doubt Lesli Kay is interested now, but for a while she was really pushing a return and her willingness to work on Y&R and B&B. Felicia/Nick were one of his most popular pairings so why not revisit it? Ashley Jones doesn't want to return full time and they no longer want to pair Nick with Brooke. He also can't go back to Katie (which was very unpopular to begin with).

Back to Sarah Brown, I think what killed her was the decision to put Aggie with Nick. They had no chemistry and it just killed everything that was interesting about her character. Unfortunately, I didn't see much potential. The show has too many women as it is. She would've filled a similar role as Heather Tom and the show is only a half hour. I do think they genuinely tried to make it work, but it didn't so Brad cut it losses. I don't blame him there. It happens. They've been doing a better job of integrating new cast members and balancing the cast out. Marcus, Dayzee, Steffy, Hope, Nick, Oliver, Donna and Justin are rounding out the cast with Bill and Katie having a bigger role. They may all be supporting characters, but they ARE rotating them in and out of story and putting them on the front burner when they have to. That's all you can ask of a half hour show IMO. It's MUCH better now.

• Members

She did make the story work. The first few months of Sandy were actually good and I felt for her as a character as she searched for her rapist. It all fell apart once that story wrapped up as Bell didnt have a clear vision for her beyond the initial story arc. After she overcame being fragile following her trauma, there was nothing about the character that stood out. She was very generic and boring. She had no storyline for months, just showing up for work at Jackie M and having Bridget bitch at her, all while pining for Nick on the side. Once they put her with Nick, they had little story aside for Amber spending a week trying to seduce him. The character was a vacant shell of uselessness and thats not SJB's fault. She had meaty material in the beginning but by this point, they gave her nothing to work with. I think the show could have made her interesting had they turned her into a psycho. She'd probably still leave anyway as she was written into a corner, but at least she'd go out with a bang as opposed to barely a whimper as she actually did.

Archived