Who is the first recast you remember?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

wink.png

Well, here's another recast first... my first *scandalous* recast was the revelation that the lady I knew from the Psychic Friends commercials and Episodes magazine ads who played Dorian on OLTL was fired and replaced with this new lady who wasn't really new at all but used to play Dorian back in the '80s. Meanwhile, my head almost exploded the first time I flipped through a SOD and saw an old b&w pic of Robin Strasser as the original Rachel!!! wacko.png I had a similar reaction when I realized that this lady Marj Dusay who I really enjoyed as Alex on GL was in fact Blair's mom on Facts of Life ("OMG, I remember her!") and Carolyn Jones' replacement as Myrna on Capitol! I miss all of those soap opera aha! moments.

• Members

It's funny because Jill played Opal in a dithery way that sort of added years to her actual age. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't she first arrive when Tad and Dixie were about to get married for the first time? I think she wore a black leather jacket and everything...

• Members

Jill Larson's debut as Opal was actually the holiday season of 1989...

Yep, she showed up on the Martin's doorstep just as you described!

The first Galen was Courtney Gibbs Eplin - as in wife of AW's Jake, Tom Eplin. She lasted in the role almost as long as their marriage. The actor who played Dr. Stephen was Andrew Jackson (according to him, a direct descendant of the former US President).

I can't remember which was the first recast, because this era on AMC was so full of them... but it was either Heather Stanford as Nina, Alice Haining as Liza, or Hugo Napier as Mike Roy. I thought Hugo was alright, because he had good chemistry with Lucci and I felt he gave Mike more sophistication - which on the other hand, also made him a bit more uptight. Of course, I was just a kid, so maybe I wasn't as picky then.

• Members

I mostly remember Andrew Jackson because Episodes did a photo shoot where he was standing in a fountain. Random...

AMC seemed to have a lot of recasts, so you would get used to it. At the time I started GL and ATWT I didn't notice that many (if I'd started just a year or two earlier I would have) so it was a jolt seeing these new people in key roles. The one I hated the most was the Billy Lewis recast. No wonder Barnabas murdered him.

• Members

A long-ass time ago, I wrote and acted in this community theater in Hollywood... I worked with a director who happened to be Kari Gibson's (the original Dixie) former acting teacher. She told me that KG was new to NYC, and ended up going out, partying, and basically came to work each day exhausted... So she turned in performances that were way off - different than the qualities she brought to her screen test, which of course meant different than what TPTB wanted for Dixie. I think she only lasted one cycle.

The original Will, Lonnie Quinn, is now a weatherman, right?

• Members

I remember the original Cooneys and I liked them. Of course, what does a dumb kid know, or whatever...

But the first Will kind of reminded me of Bubba from Mama's Family. James Patrick Stuart or whatever his name is was definitely more Palmer than Pete Cooney, he sold the transformation well, and it's kind of sad that Will experienced the descent that he did.

The first Dixie I just pretty much remember running around the mansion in her maid's uniform, closing the double doors of the library behind her and speaking in hushed tones to Will.

Archived