thoughts on Troy Davis case?

Eric83

• Members

Troy Davis was put to death following his conviction in 1991 for killing a Savannah police officer.

What are your thoughts?

Personally I think he did it. I am from Savannah, my grandmother had nephews who ran in the same circles as him and he was pretty ruthless. She has no doubt in her mind who did it.

The amount of ignorance I saw on twitter as I read people calling every white person racist, wonder why Obama didn't do something, and say they were tired of waiting on "white folks" to make a decision even though there is a black man and hispanic woman on the Supreme Court and have people telling me I'm a bitch because I pointed out that he was a criminal before all of this. Smh. I am so tired of these bandwagon activists who speak out because its cool, but once its on to the next thing they won't even think twice about getting the death penalty abolished or doing anything to prevent a situation like this again.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The death penalty is ridiculous and something most western societies abandoned. This numbers for executions from wikipedia for 2010 shows what august company America finds itself in.

That list is the US and a who's who for who you don't want to be lumped together with. Tragically, people at republican debates applaud this, and their candidates run on it.

• Members

I can't comment on whether or not Davis was guilty, because I have read too little information on this case. However, I do support the death penalty.

It is sad that the race card was played by some people.

This is true, but a great many moderate Democrats--including the Clintons--support the death penalty as well. The only Republicans I get upset with are those on the very far-right who are normally supportive of the issue except in cases when a death row inmate suddenly becomes a Born-Again Christian.

I don't condemn anybody for their views on the death penalty. However, I strongly disagree with the notion that the death penalty is "barbaric": people who get a death sentence in the United States are entitled to several appeals (which often take a few decades before being completely exhausted, as was the case here); moreover, their death is quick and painless (whereas victims of murder often suffer brutal deaths).

Archived