All: 25 biggest blunders in Daytime Soap History

• Members

Part of the problem with canceling short-lived soaps is there's no real potential for the future. A number of them were increasing in the ratings when they were taken off, and were full of people who went on to big soap success later on.

In terms of CBS they did end up getting rid of their soaps that were different, and had the potential to be strong performers (or had been at one time). They also got rid of all of their in-house soaps. I wonder what might have been if they'd kept one or two instead of only having soaps that are licensed out and seemed to be heavily damaged by constant battles over control.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Arrogance plain and simple. Execs and showrunners who won't admit that a decision like that basically fragmented the show and thinking they know better than the audience. GL was never the same. They referenced AlanQ and also Laura's disappearence from GH but do you see them back? Same reasons. I never agreed with killing off Dixie and I thought bringing her back the first time was a positive sign until the stories that followed then she died again (why???) and subsequent returns from the dead for her have been pointless.

• Members

Maureen returned several times in 1997-1998 - when Michelle talked to Maureen (a figment of her imagination - these scenes were some of Budig's best soap work), and when Vanessa went to a low rent version of Heaven. There were rumors that Ellen Parker would return as Maureen's twin, but then Ed was written out again and the whole thing was dropped.

• Members

As for GH having no heart, I do agree with that. There were a lot of characters who were deemed unnecessary that could have filled this void, like Tiffany, Lucy, or Lesley - I think doing just about nothing with Lesley was a big mistake, as she would have been perfect as a recurring character and a presence at the hospital.

What GH needed was someone who wasn't tied to the mob and who wasn't played by a bored actor always waiting for the exit door (the way Marcil does every time she returns).

• Members

No, there was no talk of a retcon. They even did a story about Michelle dating the guy who'd gotten Maureen's heart. It would have been a twin.

I think they made the right decision not to go back there. What made Maureen special was all gone within the next few years after her death. They'd recast Michelle, Ed, Roger Thorpe was gone (they had a great relationship as he was the town pariah and she was his only real friend), her niece Bridget was gone...Maureen was best left where she was.

• Members

\It's a two way street though--as ratings dropped, the execs got more and more obsessed with focus groups, interference, and all the things that have creatively gutted soaps. And so in turn viewers tune out less.

But I do think cable played a MAJOR role--it wasn't till the nineties that it was common for everyone with basic cable to have dozens of channels to wathc, not just the major networks, etc.

• Members

She was also written out of character, was she not? I think she would have left, as you say, anyway, hence her star billing with Texas--but it also sounds like Texas was poorly handled (maybe Rauch's original concept of a period, civil war era soap would have been more effective, albeit by the 80s the kinda risk networks were no longer interested in). People said the writing was very poor (though weren't the Corringtons oddly later, briefly, hired at OLTL? I never get why networks hire writers who have flopped though it's something that has happened at least since James Lipton's crap eras at AW and GL in the 60s--I mean they soon after let him create a soap!). It wasn't till I believe iris actually left and Pam Long, etc, got involved that people really took to the show, which I assume is why when it was canceled she was moved to GL

• Members

Apparently she was written out of character at first and then towards her last months she was written more like Iris of old. I think the character needed to grow and to change - Beverlee had played the vulnerable/viperous little girl for a long time and it seemed like even Lemay had kind of run out of material there. But it doesn't sound like Texas did it well at all. I have to admit the whole idea of Texas bewilders me - let's dump these people into AW for six months and then they'll disappear, and we'll expect any viewers who grew to care about them to follow them to a new show that is totally different in tone and content from anything they have seen on AW. And it sounds like Texas was just slapped together after Rauch's Civil War idea fell through. There seemed to be no reason why this was put on the air.

• Members

I really don't believe that Maureen Bauer's death was as responsible for GL's demise as the conventional wisdom states. Rather, what really caused irreversable damage to GL were all those idiotic sci-fi storylines involving Reva. If GL had remained traditional, it could have recovered from Maureen's death.

If Iris had never been spun-off to Texas, I wonder if/when AW would have lost the title of NBC's most popular soap to DOOL. (AW still remained the most popular soap on the network even after the 90 minute expansion.)

• Members

I agree. I get Carl's point--maybe they should have kept a few of the more adventurous soaps--Secret Storm was by all accounts decimated by that point, but Where the Heart Is was on an upswing under Labine/Avila, and it sounds like Love is a Many Splendoured Thing (even if it foolishly dropped its original interacial bravery) still had potential.

ABC quickly dropped both Best of Everything and A World Apart (I think that's what it was called lol), but having read about them and seen two episodes of World, they really started badly and it makes sense that they kept AMC, despite terrible ratings early on, instead. 19 soaps IS too many, it worked in the radio days when they were all 15 minutes, but with 30 minute shows, that's simply too many, and it would never have been sustained. I'm sure the networks knew that and were just trying to see which ones were working and quickly got rid of those that weren't, and while far from brave, it made sense to largely keep the long running ones.

• Members

I do think media interference, which IMHo started in the early 80s full force when they realized how much moolah was in soaps) is the number one thing that killes soaps.

I really think it was one Hell of a rush job--I guess they wanted somethign that would in theory appeal to AW viewers to fill that 30 mins AW at 90 mins really didn't need.

• Members

I don't know about you but something within me died when they killed off Emily and Georgie, which in and of itself was odd because I was not very interested in their most recent storylines before they bit it. But it wasn't just that they died so much as in the way that they died and what it did to the show. It's like once they died with them they snuffed out whatever brief light and hope the show once had. GH needs characters like them, characters who are rich in history and are also more or less good characters who try to bring out the best in very difficult situations. They need ingenues and they need heroines that are likable and amiable to the audience. Not just where they killed off but the way in which they were killed off was horrendous.

It was very hard to see them go but to see them so brutalized in such a heartless way in their finale moments was beyond hurtful. I don't think GH has ever been the same. It never recovered. I think they have tried to fill the voids with Robin, Elizabeth and Lulu but none of them can accomplish what either of those actresses did. They weren't great dramatic actresses but there was something about them and their characters which made you feel there was some semblance of heart and goodness on the show. It was a sense of purity and warmth in who they were that made you like them. Elizabeth has been tattered and torn down so much that I don't believe she can ever realistically be this for the show and even at her brightest she was never an Emily or a Georgie. She was in her heart a bad girl. Robin and Lulu are both too cold and clinical to be this either. So that leaves GH with a heartless show. Laura's loss was a painful one but that is only part of the problem. They keep killing off anyone who is even remotely like Laura. That won't let her legacy thrive in any form or state. They keep killing Laura over and over again because they keep killing characters that are most like her. That is the real issue with GH.

Yeah Dixie has been misused for years now. I think that's more actor meddling then anything else though. Cady made it known that she wasn't interested in playing Dixie the way she had previous years and she wanted Dixie to be portrayed differently and that's what we got.

Archived