GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh, sorry. Got my timing turned completely around. Thanks for the heads up. Still, my point was that ABC did have concern about their whole lineup, during this timeframe. They were not just somehow picking on GH. They had legitimate concerns. 

• Members

I am very appreciative for your gracious approval to share any memories of pre-Marland GH.  Here below is something that really upset me, as a child who was around while my mother was watching "her story".

Dr. Lesley Williams was very reluctant to treat patient Florence Grey.  She had an affair with Florence's husband while still in college, and it was essential for Lesley to get help to NOT to let Florence's husband into Florence's room while Lesley was there, because Lesley did not want to see the husband again or to upset the patient.  So Lesley enlisted the aid of Jessie to keep the husband waiting at the nurse's station until Lesley could slip out of the patient's room.  Of course, the plan failed spectacularly, as the impatient husband burst past Jessie, came into the room and locked eyes with Lesley (cue long organ music, fade out).

Now comes the part that upset me as a child.  Florence's father was rich and the owner of a large department store.  He caught wind of who Lesley was and her role in upsetting his daughter, and he would pick arguments and threaten poor Dr. Williams at every turn.

The man who played Florence's father was Edward Platt, the man who played the "The Chief" in the "Get Smart" reruns I watched, and I did not like to see "The Chief" being mean!

• Members
Posted (edited)

This kind of individual shared history and wealth of experience and knowledge is why I stay on this forum. Please never apologize let alone thank us, we should thank you.

Edited by Vee

• Members

In some ways, hard not to agree. But members of the cast liked him and said he was more innovative than Young.

Denise Alexander said he updated the studio and made it more functional, including improving the sound and cameras. Having come from DAYS she was shocked how bad those things were at GH. Lesley Charleson (a friend of his and hired by him) also described him as being very strong, similar to Monty without the attitude.

He had terrible writers. If Marland had arrived when he did I wonder what GH would look like today. Or if it would even be on? It has coasted many times over the years on that cultural impact it had from Monty/Marland/PFS.

Were the Dobsons fired or did they quit? They have such a singular style, but it really comes alive on GL from everything I have seen/read. Maybe Bridget felt more constrained to keep GH as it was as far as tone due to her parents?

I agree 100% with this @victorlord75!

We need perspectives like yours to bring those times to life. Soap fans carry a torch for their shows, especially the ones not airing anymore. There is so little reliable information about the earlier eras, let alone someone sharing how the shows made them feel, connect with characters and stories. Please continue to share!

• Members
Posted (edited)

My impression has been that Donovan fired the Dobsons and had them replaced by the Hollands.  I believe it was the Hollands who created the character of Laura Vining.  Lesley's husband Cameron Faulkner financed getting the Vinings out of town, but I don't know if that plot point belonged to the Hollands or the Pollocks.

Edited by victorlord75
Improve clarity

• Members

The Dobsons left GH by their choice. Her parents told her constantly that she was not a competent writer & that no one else but them would pay her to write a show for them. And, while Bridget & Jerome were at GH they had to write what Frank & Doris said. 

I forget the exact circumstances but Bridget was in a one-on-one setting with whoever was in charge then on P&G soaps. And she said to them, did they remember her, that she was the girl who did thus and so at such and such a meeting. And, they said,of course they knew who she was, that they had been watching her & her progress & wondered if she was ready for her own show yet or whether she just wanted to stay at GH. Well, Bridget was flabbergasted that anyone, unknown to her, was following her progress, and that they thought she could be a HW on her own. And they interrupted her thoughts to say that of course it was possible that she might not want to be a HW, preferring to write dialog, for example. Finally, she managed to find her voice & express that she would love to HW for a P&G soap. And that is how she got the first HW job for herself & Jerome out from under Frank & Doris's thumb! 

Frank & Doris were truly horrible to Bridget. They never watched her work. They said they knew if they saw her work, poor as it was, that they would be disappointed & they didn't want that. 

I'm sorry to have gotten a bit off of GH

• Members

Thanks for the info on the Dobsons. Of everyone involved in bts soaps, I think Bridget’s life would make an incredible tv show. That relationship between her and her parents is so harsh and complex.

• Members

There are memos from the show addressing network execs concerns that DA was being wasted during her early days.  The actress herself is said to have been distraught at her lack of a central story. The Grey storyline seems to have been the solution to putting Lesley into the thick of things.

• Members

LOL, you are right about that. If ever there was a toxic relationship between parents & daughter, theirs is probably the most toxic but also amazingly interesting. 

Patrick Mulcahey's life would make an amazing story, too, since when as a teen he first told someone he was gay, they had him institutionalized for years until he was old enough to legally get himself free. 

• Members

Yes, PM was in a mental institution from the time he was ?teen (15? 16? Unknown) until he was either 18 or 21, whichever was the legal age in that state. (I think CT.) At that time he took action to get himself released. I believe that he confided his newfound belief that he was gay to a counselor at his school. But, there's no way he could have been locked up in a mental ward without his parents also being a part of it. He has spoken openly about this. And, god bless him, when he talks about it, it is not with bitterness or rancor, rather he tells fascinating stories about the people he lived with. One, a black teen drag queen whose stories are wonderful, hilarious, even life-affirming.