GH: Classic Thread

• Members
Posted (edited)

IIRC somebody was asking about who was responsible for resurrecting Lesley. In a 2018 interview with Michael Maloney, Genie claims credit:

Edited by Vee

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
Posted (edited)

It's pretty wild to see the mammoth investment put into the Eckerts in '91 - sweeping (and swooning) overhead shots of their big new bakery set followed by an extended tour of their entire family house, also all-new. Monty was really banking on Tony's star power putting this all over.

As I've said before, on paper I admire the ambition: If it is true that Monty hoped to emulate the UK soaps/Eastenders by introducing a working-class ethnic family en masse that's something I can get behind theoretically in the right circumstances, and I've also always wanted a modern American soap to experiment with the UK model of bringing on a whole family unit at once. (It historically never works here when rarely done, but times have changed and you might as well try it with the right characters, such as for example Liz's doctor sister Sarah and family on GH.) I also said already that I'm impressed with the scope of the S.S. Tracy event, its immediate ramifications for the larger canvas and how it introduces Mac, the Eckerts, etc. all in one fell swoop - Robert, Anna, Ruby, Bobbie, Tracy, etc. carry a lot of that stuff in the earlier eps with the disaster itself. But while JJY is immediately winning as Mac, the Eckert characters are not just compelling enough to make all this work and the post-sinking February episodes in particular have the regular GH vets seeming like guest stars in a show entirely about the Eckerts lol.

It does amuse me seeing jolly Frank(?) Eckert with his loving wife and remembering Tony's later interview (one of many retcon backstory interviews he gave for Bill) declaring that Bill's father beat their mother for years. Okay?

Finian O'Toole is funny but Mac is real quick to eat lunch out of an empty morgue drawer. Couldn't be me. How did this dude turn out to be part of the cartel or whatever?

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

High stakes drama in August of 1974! I would love to see these episodes! Enjoy!

Thursday, August 1, 1974: Howie annoys Lucille by saying that he wants to arrange daily press conferences.  Joel tells Jim he did a great job in surgery and that in the future it would be a privilege to assist him.  Augusta notices Peter’s businesslike attitude and asks if he holds it against her that she behaved like a woman; Augusta mentions to Jane that she will be having a man friend over once-in-a-while and that Jane may recognize him, but must not say anything about it.  Diana and Peter meet by accident in the medicine room; Diana is cool and hurt, saying that she expected something different from Peter; he tries to explain why he hasn’t been home, but Augusta interrupts before he can.

Friday, August 2: Henry tells Mai-Lin she is safe in the hospital; Lucille talks to him about a new patient, Harry Jenkins - - who has stomach issues and a bandaged hand. When Joel asks Jim to participate in another surgery, Jim makes up an excuse not to.  Owen notices Diana’s wedding rings, and tells her they make him uncomfortable; she removes them and says her marriage is over.  Henry checks the new patient, Harry Jenkins, but when he approaches the man’s hand, he angrily jerks it away and demands Henry stay away from his hand.

Monday, August 5: Henry decides he needs Steve’s advice on handling Jenkins.  Kira comes home to find her boss, Hayes Colman, waiting for her in her apartment; he’s listened to Kira’s tapes about Mai-Lin.  Howie is home alone when Jane comes to get more of her belongings; he attempts to force himself on her, but she fights him off, slapping him.  Owen tells Joel he hopes for a future with Diana and is willing to fight the competition.  Diana finds the note Peter wrote when he came to the apartment, and assumes that he decided it wasn’t worth trying to talk through their problems; she tells Martha she must make a life for just the two of them.  

Tuesday, August 6: Steve returns and is concerned about Mai-Lin; Steve tells Henry he feels responsible for what happened and is going to investigate.  Howie asks Lee to represent him in a divorce action; Lee refuses.  Lesley notices that Peter is formal towards Augusta to the point of almost being rude; Lesley questions Peter on his change in behavior toward Augusta, annoying him; Lesley sees Diana holding her wedding rings, and tells her she thinks Diana is making a mistake; uptight, Diana tells Lesley she can’t take much more of Lesley’s interfering.

Wednesday, August 7: Wallace Baxter tells Steve that Mai-Lin has to return home as soon as she is able, and he will make sure of it.  Steve goes to see Kira, who expects a warm reunion, but Steve is too preoccupied with Mai-Lin’s predicament.  Joel tells Audrey that Jim has fallen behind and has been having other doctors cover his cases; Audrey is distressed.  Augusta comes into Owen’s room with a box of flowers - - they are for Diana from Owen - - when Diana leaves, Augusta encourages Owen on his feelings for Diana.

Thursday, August 8: Steve tells Howie to cancel his press conference plans; Howie reacts and tells Steve he is tired of having to do what Steve tells him.  Howie goes home for lunch and surprises Mrs. Dawson with the news that he has quit his job and is moving out of the apartment; Mrs. Dawson is stricken, but Howie assures her that a new Howie is emerging.  Audrey returns home to find Jim drinking; when she questions his change since Owen’s surgery he refuses to explain, making Audrey feel cut out of his life.

Friday, August 9: Jenkins opens a suitcase revealing he has a gun.  Steve tells Mai-Lin when she is released from the hospital she has to return to China.  Kira admits to Steve that her boss listened to her tapes on Mai-Lin and is afraid he will use the material; Steve is furious.  Peter admits to Lesley he is not proud of his recent behavior.  Owen takes a first step and is elated; he asks Diana to marry him.

Monday, August 12: Harry Jenkins puts his gun under his mattress.  Lucille tells Steve that she is willing to take a leave of absence from the hospital to take a job appointment with the governor.  Joel talks to Jim about the number of things Jim has let slide; Jim gets angry.  When Diana tries to give her rings back to Peter, he refuses to take them; Peter goes to Augusta’s apartment impulsively; Augusta encourages him to quit swimming upstream and that she thinks he is afraid of his feelings for her;  Jane, who lives across the hall from Augusta, sees Peter leaving.

Tuesday, August 13: Jessie finds a vial of cleaning fluid in Jenkins’ room and brings it to Steve; Steve begins to speculate if this man is somehow connected to Mai-Lin.  The 7th floor staff gives Lucille a surprise farewell party.  Mr. Thurston gives Audrey a veiled warning that Jim will have to change his behavior.  Kira gets a typed manuscript of the Mai-Lin story from Hayes Colman; she tries to charm him out of broadcasting it, without success.  Steve goes into Jenkins’ room and begins to cut the bandages of the sedated man’s hand.  The phone rings, waking Jenkins.  He grabs on to Steve’s arm before answering the phone.

Wednesday, August 14: Augusta explains to Jane that Peter is a very special friend.  Jenkins pulls his gun on Steve and makes Steve take him to Mai-Lin’s room.  When Joel tries to kiss Lesley, she makes an excuse and slips away.  Jenkins enters Mai-Lin’s room with Steve at gunpoint, demanding to know where the Bible is; she gives him the Bible that Steve gifted her, but Jenkins realizes it isn’t the right one; Steve says he has the other Bible at his hotel, and Jenkins says that he will go with Steve to get it.

Thursday, August 15: Owen tells Augusta that he has proposed to Diana; Augusta is pleased.  Jessie and Henry see Steve and Jenkins leaving; Steve tells Jessie he is taking Jenkins to the fourth floor to see Dr. Baxter; Jessie realizes something is wrong because the fourth floor is the maternity ward, and there is no Dr. Baxter at General; Jessie and Henry rush to Mai-Lin and find her frightened and upset;  she tells them Jenkins has a gun and he is taking Steve to retrieve the Bible from Steve’s hotel room; Jessie alerts Wallace Baxter and Henry calls Kira who is going to try to get to the Bible before Steve and Jenkins get to the room.  Audrey tells Jim that people are wondering if he is ill because of his recent behavior; Jim tells her that he is sure he won’t be able to do cardiac surgery anymore.  Lesley and Joel go out for ice cream and kiss.  Kira arrives at Steve’s room, but is trapped when Steve and Jenkins arrive; she hides in the bathroom.

Friday, August 16: Owen tells Joel that insurance won’t cover the cost of his surgery and he will probably have to sell his house to pay for it.  Steve frantically searches for the Bible, but can’t find it; Jenkins gives him five minutes to find it.  Jim tells Audrey that his hand can’t do the required manipulations for successful cardiac surgeries; Jim is miserable and has to fight to keep from breaking.  Peter calls Diana and tells her he is leaving town for a few days to get some perspective.  Kira comes out of hiding and gives Jenkins the Bible; Jenkins rips out the page he is looking for and starts to leave; he thinks better of it and turns back, telling Kira and Steve that they know too much.

Monday, August 19: Jenkins decides he has to take Steve and Kira as his hostages.  Owen tells Augusta that he must have been too pushy with Diana, as she hasn’t been to see him since he proposed - - without Diana he has no will to live, because of her he wants to get well.  Kira stalls for time by dropping the contents of her purse and picking them up; Wallace Baxter and the police jump Jenkins and arrest him; Steve calls Jessie and tells her that he and Kira are alright; Henry tells Mai-Lin the good news and though she is very happy she says that there is one great sadness and that is that she will have to leave Henry.

Tuesday, August 20: Jim brings a bottle to his office and puts it in his desk drawer.  Owen is uptight and lets Joel know it; he is worried about the money it’s going to take to pay for his hospitalization and if Diana is interested in a future with him.  Kira tells Steve she may lose her job because she angered her boss by not releasing the story before it made it to the newspapers; Steve tells her he is grateful to her and that she saved his life.

Wednesday, August 21: Mai-Lin is happy to learn that she can live in a country of her choice.  Jane tells Mrs. Dawson that she is divorcing Howie.  August and Lesley argue about Peter and Diana; Augusta tells Lesley what a shame it is that Peter won’t have his own child with Diana and that if he wants a child of his own, it’s going to have to be with another woman.

Thursday, August 22: Lee tells Jane that he will represent her in a divorce action against Howie.  A new patient, Mr. Osgood, refuses to allow Lesley, a woman doctor, to examine him; she enlists Joel’s help in checking Mr. Osgood; she is frustrated by Joel when he agrees with Mr. Osgood, who doesn’t want to be examined in front of a woman doctor.  Jim tells Joel that Owen is not making the progress they hoped for; he tells Joel to do whatever he can to keep Owen’s mind at ease.  Henry tells Mai-Lin that he loves her.

Friday, August 23: Wallace Baxter calls Steve with word that Mai-Lin’s father is very ill.  Jane admits to Augusta that she wishes she had another baby; she says she never really thought of herself with anyone other than Howie.  Steve tells Audrey that the hospital administration will probably tell Jim he has to take a leave of absence or be fired.  Augusta throws away her birth control pills.

Monday, August 26: Steve tells Jim that a complaint against him will be presented to the board to the effect that Jim is not properly managing the cardiac unit; Jim is furious.  Joel admits to Augusta that the uncertainty of a future with Diana is taking a toll on Owen physically.  Mai-Lin decides she must leave America as soon as she can to be with her father; she is very conflicted and sad, particularly because of Henry.  Jim confronts Steve and tells him to stop playing God; Steve tells Jim he needs to modify his behavior, if not for his sake at least for Audrey’s; Jim accuses Steve of still being in love with Audrey.

Tuesday, August 27: Audrey receives a letter from Lucille.  Joel tells Diana how much Owen misses her, but he hopes that Owen’s affection is no burden; Diana says that Owen has been good for her.  Jim apologizes to Steve for his outburst yesterday, he realizes he’s been taking Audrey for granted and letting his work at the hospital slide; he thanks Steve for bearing with him.  Henry is devastated to learn that Mai-Lin is leaving to be with her father.  Owen tries to be casual, but is excited and tense seeing Diana for the first time since he proposed; he asks if she is having problems with the breakup of her marriage, and she admits she is; Owen tells her he went through a difficult time when he got divorced; he hopes that his love will help and asks her what her feelings for him are; she says she will tell him when she knows herself.

Wednesday, August 28: Henry buys a diamond ring for Mai-Lin.  Diana finds a letter for Augusta from Peter.  Diana invites Owen to recuperate under her care at her apartment.  There is a small going away party for Mai-Lin; Steve gives her a letter to give to her father saying that Steve would be proud to adopt her as his daughter if Jung Lu would feel easier knowing she had a family in America; Henry arrives and gives her the ring; he is terribly sad when she leaves.

Thursday, August 29: Joel tells Owen he needs to get out of the hospital.  Lesley is distressed when Augusta tells her that Diana has invited Owen to recuperate at her apartment.  Jim tells Audrey he is going to be a new man; he throws all of his liquor away; Audrey gets an emergency call that Lucille has been taken to Cedar’s Hospital with pneumonia.  Lesley asks Diana why she asked Owen to move in; she tells Lesley that she thinks she can be happy helping someone and that Owen proposed to her.

Friday, August 30: Audrey reports to Al that Lucille has viral pneumonia; Al says he will drop everything to go to be with her; Audrey tells Jim that she hates to have to leave him.  Owen is ecstatic when Joel tells him that he is medically fit to go to Diana’s to recuperate.  After Audrey leaves, Jim is at loose ends; he lifts one of the bottles from the trash and takes a drink; he calls the hospital and cancels his meetings.  Diana learns that Peter will be returning on Tuesday, the day of her and Peter’s anniversary and the day Owen moves in; Augusta is less happy about Peter’s return when she learns he is returning on the day of his and Diana's anniversary.

Edited by depboy
Inadvertently called Jenkins “Henry” instead of “Harry”.

• Members
Posted (edited)

@depboy thanks for all you do - I've been meaning to dig back into these synopses recently.

On another 1992 note no one asked for: Has anyone else seen the early Felicia return material in June of '92 and gotten the distinct impression they were heavily testing Scott and Felicia? They have a number of cute banter scenes with him looking after Maxie (who they keep calling "Max") and have pretty solid chemistry, and their vaguely improvisational energy works well together. But honestly Kristina really returned gangbusters overall from what I can see, and more than proved herself solo here IMO - she dominates a bunch of scenes with Felicia sweeping across the canvas doing what seems like odd jobs, with hilarious stuff with her working at the PCPD with crooks at the line-up, etc. I've always respected how strong and funny KW was as a slice of life player in the Labine era with JJY, Kimberly, Jon Lindstrom, etc. but she really has even more of a vivacious spark than I remembered. I don't know if this is when her real IRL troubles with Jack Wagner started but it seems like she came back eager to prove herself without him and Frisco as a solo heroine, and for a good stretch of years I think she succeeded. It's nice to be able to admire that again after the Luke/Felicia years brought her so low. Kristina is a lot rustier and less spontaneous a comedienne these days than she was back in the '90s, but she's still got a lot of emotion and heart onscreen when it counts and I'm glad she's still here. I do wonder when they started the move towards Mac and Felicia.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Watching the Lucy and Felicia scenes of the mid 90s, has anyone ever noticed their lesbian undertone, that Lucy was always subtly flirting with and having her hands on Felicia? It was never in the dialogue, but all in the energy; more in how the actors would play their scenes together. I always felt like the actors were just having fun with it, adding a subtle level to their interactions for whoever saw and noticed.

• Members

IIRC, they started moving Mac and Felicia together during the Ryan story.  She was still married to Frisco for awhile when she came back.  Although I appreciate JJY as Mac I do think he got quite lucky with the Felicia pairing.  Mac would have been truly gone ages ago without it.  He pretty much floundered in every other pairing he had, but most were pretty ill conceived and not entirely his fault.

• Members

I think he was a great asset from the jump in what I've seen despite the difficult circumstances under Monty, but yeah they didn't give him much to work with. I have never seen him with Shell Danielson's Dominique, only the terrible original performer but neither lasted long. The Holly thing is nonsense. I just wonder if they had toyed with Scott and Felicia or always had Mac in mind. Because the Ryan mystery was part of her re-introduction.

• Members

That I don't know.  It feels like such an odd pairing to me, but so does Felicia and Luke and that happened.  Didn't Scott have quite a bit going on at the time?  It's so hard to say with all the behind the scenes upheaval.  And the show couldn't figure out what to do with Holly let alone Mac.  I have a feeling Mac might have always been in mind for Felicia, but as a temporary pairing.  I do think the show always wanted Jack Wagner back permanently although I don't know the timeline between this and his gig on Melrose Place exactly.

I also wonder if the show at some point wanted to do Felicia and Kevin, but decided that was too dark and they moved her to MA's Tom instead and put Kevin in a lighthearted Lucy pairing.

• Members

They were definitely playing the Kevin/Felicia romantic tension in '94 upon my revisit recently, but I don't know how far because I haven't seen a lot of this year since I was a kid watching live and I don't remember how much is discussed or played out. It was such a strange and unique (and at times uneasy) relationship at that time given the Ryan of it all, and there are periods when it seems Felicia is becoming jealous re: Lucy or Kevin is interested in her. But I do think Kevin and Lucy became the endgame for Labine early there, as in early in '94. I think the Felicia stuff is ultimately there to build the character and further distinguish Kevin from Ryan in her life and on the show after they work through the romantic, etc. tension, as Kevin becomes one of her closest friends.

• Members

I don't think the wrong choice was made regarding Lucy/Kevin at all.  I do remember Felicia and Kevin having a vibe, but the timing was probably way too off given Felicia was pregnant/just had a baby and the Ryan situation.  I can't recall if Felicia/Tom was a Labine creation or mostly Guza, but the idea sounded decent on paper and I don't think MA/KW were without chemistry.  The relationship just played out so oddly sexual and cringe-y.  It was still playing out in 1997, so a few writers had a hand in it I suppose.  

The Mac/Katherine stuff was a mess from the beginning, but they last surprisingly long all things considered.

• Members

It was Labine IIRC. I can't remember how/why they broke up or when or why Tom left. On paper MA should've worked and I thought he did well enough onscreen, but they just never found the right moment or partner for him.