GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That speeding ambulance and original theme is still way more exciting than any opening they have had since.  And I loved Faces of the Heart.  But the old open was just more exciting.  And easy to make a quick version.

They should have just updated that one in recent years.  Modern instrumentation, an ambulance with sirens going, a shot of the hospital and logo, and quick cut to black and back into the show.  Maybe 15 to 20 seconds and pumped with energy.

Although it would be leading in to a show that is often lacking in energy.

• Members

I totally agree.  As a matter of fact, when I watch whole episodes from before FOTH but during Riche, it does seem kind of strange.  It was certainly perfect for what Labine’s team was writing once they arrived.

She and ABC did a fantastic job with that intro.  Retaining the ambulance, the opening notes.  Even the added patches didn’t show for a long time.  I especially will always love Lucy’s eyebrow raising, Luke & Laura’s section, the medical scene at the beginning, Puerto Rico, and of course the ending with Felicia’s changing hairstyles followed by Mac’s never changing shot/turtleneck.

I remember thinking when Frank and Ron’s intro started why didn’t they just go back to the ambulance and hospital and OG theme?  And the one they use now is just amateurish beyond belief.

• Members

Also agree. Just like Y&R's red opening from 99, and AMC's 90-94 intro, saxaphone screams nineties, and FOTH was a great fit. I prefer beauty shot intros, but since today's GH is sticking with a short opener, it would have been cool to do a remastered Autumn Breeze intro. 

I second that watching Riche episodes with autumn breeze felt odd, considering the way the show was at that point. I always thought of the Riche era coming into its own and taking shape once that opener started on the 30th anniversary show.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

The ending will always choke me up. Something I'd never considered until recently ... was having Steve/John proudly exit the hospital/studio by himself meant as a response to Santa Barbara's last moments, with Rauch putting out his cigar on the floor?

• Members

According to Laura Wright on today's GH, the show will start doing 'flashback fridays' (due to coronavirus stalling production). Today's was a rerun from the shows 56th anniversary last year

Please register in order to view this content

. If they start airing actual classics it would cool to see:

-Lassa fever, AJ's birth (as it relates to Michael & Nelle), Alan dropping the roof on Rick & Monica, Faison & Ana from the early 90s (current crap storylines), or Alan and Susan (as it relates to FrankenDrew) .

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Certainly they were preferable to the gangsters, murderers, and abusers who invaded the show in the late ‘90s, but one thing that annoyed me about Labine-era GH were the sanctimonious, stuffy, condescending men usually tasked with taming a free-spirited woman (Mac, Ned, Kevin). I just watched the FOTH theme in the thread about soap openings, and it brought all that back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Over the past few weeks, I've been amusing myself reading the summaries from 1981 onward. I'm up to June 1989. Rewinding back to 1983, what do we think of Jackie being such a woman scorned over Robert & Holly getting together? I'm team Holly, but it seems like if the show wanted to keep Demi (or she wanted to stay), she'd have been aces as a first class villainess.

I liked Jackie until this point. She became insufferable. Like gurl Robert isn't the only dude in the world. Jackie was pissed at Robbie for over a year until she left PC. It's a shame i liked the friendship and team work. Between Luke, Robert and Jackie during the awful Tale of Two Laura's/David Gray saga. During her last year she barely interacted with Luke. When she did interact with Robert. She was icy cold towards him. @Franko Do you know if Jackie ever had a last episode? Or did she simply disappear? Like Bryan and Claudia did in 1987. 

Edited by victoria foxton