How Close Did B&B Come to Expanding to an Hour?

• Members

Due to the phenomenal ratings growth B&B experienced in the 90's, I'm sure that CBS seriously considered expanding B&B to 60 minutes. In fact, even as recently as circa 2004, the hour expansion seemed to be a good possibility (as I recall reading in the soap mags at the time).

I'm assuming that the main reason why the 60 minute expansion never occurred was because P&G was not yet willing to give up on GL (and obviously a GL cancellation would have been necessary for any B&B expansion). I seem to remember that Bill Bell also seriously objected to extending B&B's length. (In fact, Bell was opposed to Y&R expanding as well. Because of these objections, CBS then decided to propose a 60 minute expansion for SFT, except this never happened because of Mary Stuart's objections.) Additionally, the expansion to 60 minutes would have proposed a problem for B&B because there was not enough studio space available at CBS Television City to accomodate this.

Of course, I believe that B&B benefitted greatly by remaining at 30 minutes, because it allowed that soap to stay much more true to its core when compared to the soaps that did undertake the hour expansion. In fact, I believe that 30 minutes is the optimal running time for a soap, unless there is an extremely talented writer such as Lemay and Marland (in which case an hour is better).

I am curious to view others' responses to this topic, especially among anyone who was "in the know," so this thread can be an accurate reflection of just how close B&B really did come to expanding to an hour (as opposed to just mere speculation).

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd much rather soaps be a half hour. I agree that if the shows had remained that length, more of their cores would have been intact, at least for longer than they were. And for half hour shows, you have less staff, less sets, less wardrobe & makeup, less cast ... etc.

Bill Bell and Mary Stuart were right to object.

• Members

I remember a blurb in Digest in the Fall of 1996 that said whispers were saying that a B&B expansion to one-hour would be a done deal by Spring 1997. Obviously that never happened. Maybe they were making alternative plans since GL was hitting all-time lows in 1996 and was in serious threat of cancellation.

• Members

Mary Stuart may have personally been against the expansion but I doubt her opinion held much sway in CBS/P&G making such a decision.

B&B's international success also played against going ahead with the expansion.a lot of international markets find it easier to program 30 mins.

• Members

I think it's been passed around as an idea but not seriously considered.

I remember in 1997/1998 or so SOD did an interview with Bradley and asked him an hour-long expansion and mentioned that he didn't think he'd like that much but the idea had crossed his mind. This was the same interview that when asked about Lauren and her son Scotty he said you see Scotty on B&B every Saturday -_-

When GL was cancelled I believe Rhonda Friedman said they glimpsed at expansion again but said it would never work.

• Members

It was my understanding that B&B airs during the day in Italy,during the time that businesses close for lunchtime/afternoon break and a lot of people head home.My first time there,it was a complete surprise to find so many things shut in the middle of the day.

Can someone clarify please

• Members

That's correct to my knowledge and own experience.

The double episode thing is standrad practice in Germany, Israel and some other countries. The show goes on hold as soon as they get to close to the US.

As for priemtime airings: I think it a least used to air in primetime in countries such as Jamaica and Russia and airs in acces primetime in South Africa at 6 pm or so.

Archived