Ratings from the 70's

• Members

Oh thats right! Thanks Jason! Are those which exist on classic soaps tumblr? I read those, but never ended up saving those for my own archive. I should that some day. 

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

All My Children lost about 10 to 15% of its audience after it moved from 1pm to 12:30pm in July 1975. RH took AMC's slot when it debuted and RH was a bomb in the slot.  ABC lost more of its audience when RH was at 1 and it was not until AMC went back to 1PM in January 1977 did its ratings recover and eventually in April 1977 AMC went to an hour and ratings increased. 

• Members

Wow, thanks a lot!!

OMG, look at that now.. AMC number one, huge jumps for ABC in general-- 

Is that due to summer holidays so kids out of school preferred ABC and CBS/P&G soaps were more for older people? So since no VCR or anything, it had to be one or the other... 

• Members

It's just so fascinating to me to see how wildly soaps' ratings fluctuated throughout the '70's.  One week, a soap could be in the middle or bottom of the pack; the next, they're practically rivalling ATWT at number one, lol!

• Members

July 26, 1976 ABC expands One Life to Live and General Hospital to 45 minutes each.

The network schedules (ET) starting w/ soaps until the end of the day were

CBS: 11:30 am Love of Life, Noon Y&R, 12:30 pm Search for Tomorrow, 1 pm Local programming, 1:30 pm As the World Turns, 2:30 pm Guiding Light, 3 pm All in the Family reruns, 3:30 pm Match Game, 4 pm Tattletales

ABC: 12:30 pm All My Children, 1 pm Ryan's Hope, 1:30 pm Family Feud, 2 pm $20000 Pyramid, 2:30 pm One Life to Live, 3:15 pm General Hospital, 4 pm The Edge of Night

NBC: 1:30 pm Days, 2:30 pm The Doctors, 3 pm Another World, 4 pm Somerset

The soap time slot rivalries were

Search for Tomorrow vs. All My Children

As the World Turns vs. Days

Guiding Light vs. One Life to Live vs. The Doctors

One Life to Live/General Hospital vs. Another World

The Edge of Night vs. Somerset

• Members
Posted (edited)

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 8/9/76-8/13/76 & 8/16/76-8/20/76:

Please register in order to view this content

FAST WEEKLY WEEK OF 8/23/76-8/27/76 NOT AVAILABLE

(Note: Per newspaper listings, there were no scheduled preemptions and all daytime shows were scheduled to air every day this week).

Edited by JAS0N47