1955 article on NBC's daytime dramas

DRW50

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, this isn't one of the ones at the Paley Center, unless they've gained more material in the past fifteen years. WoST had this episode on their site at one point. It didn't have a specific date. This was early in the show's run (the second month), while the Paley episodes are most likely from December, 1954 as they follow the story leading up to the conclusion.

Bill, Poco, and Jennifer all manage to stick around, but Lori March is the only one with any longevity. She appears in the final moment in the story; Jennifer kisses Bill just as the story comes to a close. Lauren Gilbert steps out of character to tell us that Bill and Poco will reunite, but not after some hardships.

The opening also manages to get an update. In 1954, the show uses a black and white sketch of a building rather than the cityscape you see in 1953.

• Members

I had seen it years ago on WoST.

It's funny. I've seen very little of Lori March except in her lesser known roles: villainess Jennifer on Three Steps, T.J.'s flighty mother on Texas, and the weak minded woman who Diane Seeley mesmerized during the DOMI storyline on "Another Life." I think I've only seen the 1965 episode of her as Valerie on "The Secret Storm."

I haven't, but I'll pop over.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

First Love (TV) Cast: Pat Barry, Val Dufour. Frederic Downs. Hal Currier. Henrietta Moore. Joe Warren. Scotty McGregor. Henry Stanton, John Dutra. Howard Smith.

Producer. Al Morrison.

Director. Joe Behar.

Writer -Manya Star.

Once more in the soap chips, NBC launched four new TV suds operas this week, including this sustainer. "First Love." Produced by the web's former daytime program chief. Adrian Samish, and originated from Philadelphia, the new series is distinguished by top -flight production and excellent thesping It should have no trouble landing a sponsor. The story, penned by  veteran soap opera scribe Manya Starr, concerns a sweet bride (nicely played by pretty Patricia Barry), whose new husband )Val Dufour) neglects her  for his job. The plot, of course,  far from original', but bound to strike a sympathetic note with more than one lonely  hausfrau. Both Miss Barry and Dufour handle their roles well. managing to create a convincing simile of  young love without being overly coy about it. The first sequence mainly sets the stage for the basic situation with the husband leaving the wife on a Sunday to work at the office. While there was little action, the character delineations were interesting, albeit conventional and   -and the apartment setting attractive.

Archived