AMC: actor to possibly make a cameo appearance

• Members

Cady has comeback quite a few times and is even on the show now. She's had at least two returns as ghost Dixie so people are more likely to remember her. Can you remember performances by Eva LaRue before now? How about Sydney Penny? Esta TerBlanche? So on and so forth. The longer a person is away the harder it is to remember them.

As to Cady her return as living Dixie was maligned when she came back anyway and most viewers hated her storylines with Zach, Tad and with Madden. People hated this new harden Dixie and wanted a return to her performances of old Dixie.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No I said he couldn't act. Then I said he was overrated. He is overrated by Jamey "sir sucks-alot" Giddens.

Oh really? When ? JY had a strong cancer s/l, was nominated for Babe's death hospital scene, had cancer s/l again...every strong s/l Jacob Young is featured in every soap magazine.

No Billy Miller is not a great actor. Ritchie was an overpropped character, AMC fans liked him for a bit, my guess going after Ryan Lavery, he goes to Y&R and is a 1 note actor. He's not even the best Billy. Villy is his golden pair and it's one of the most boring pairings in daytime. Does this mean Amelie can act too? you know since you think BM can act, I'd guess she can too right?

• Members

:lol: Let me guess...because Alexa Havins left? Jacob Young carried Alexa and it's one of many reasons why I didn't like that pairing.

First thing Jacob Young said when he found out he was gonna work with MCE: "I better bring my A game" which he did.

Jacob Young went from being paired with hair models to an actual actress.

• Members

No because he has degenerated from a reasonably three dimensional performer into a person who just yells and screams all the time. I saw his work in Brittany Allen's Emmy Reel tape which was submitted for this years Emmy award (which she won) and I'm sorry that was awful. How anyone can call that his 'best work, or his A-game years' is for all intensive purposes disasterous especially considering Young had incredibly riveting work in 2005 and 2006. Jacob Young now is far, far away from his prime. The last time I was genuinely impressed by Young as a performer was probably when he had to deal with Dixie and Babe's dual death that was impressive work. Now? Please. Don't make me laugh.

• Members

This isn't even the right mth. or yr. to criticize JY's acting. Cady even called him a rising lead actor. :lol: The past few mths. he's been owning the acting on AMC. He's driving 2 or 3 s/ls all by himself. :lol: Well and some help from CBL. But really, down hill? BA's emmy reel was carried by JY, when she won she even thanked him at the podium.:lol:

Where's AH's gold emmy again?

• Members

The Emmy's don't mean anything anymore. They haven't since Guiding Light and As The World Turns were cancelled. There isn't enough competition to even house five spots in each category. They mean next to nothing now if that isn't enough Laura Wright and Brittany Allen have awards as the 'best actresses in the soap medium'. It's complete garbage. Unless you honestly believe they are the best actresses in soaps now. :nbe:

Not to mention the Younger Actor award was always the poor man's category.

• Members

B.Allens was a small category and reel was JY as a lead, LW I'll give you. I honestly don't believe they are the best actors, which is why I immediately said Billy Miller is overrated, there isn't much past snark to his acting, I'm not even sure if he's acting at times.

Which to your talk about MCE being seen as a support, made absolutely no sense. For some time in the last 2 yrs. she has been a lead actress, so I still have no idea how anyone can say Havins acting wise over Egan or Minshew. If you want to say Budig than fine, but Egan and Minshew don't think so.

• Members

Budig is a better dramatic actress then Minshew is and always has been. Even from the very beginning she was killing Minshew in scenes when they were up against one another. Alicia always needs someone to hold her hand in dramatic scenes in almost all cases. Minshew is at her effective best in comedy and romance or when she is supporting stronger dramatic players like Thorsten, Susan or Eden. Minshew is a very limited dramatic actress, I would say Natalia Livingston could probably out act her in a dramatic scene and that right there says volumes as Natalia is far from being a dramatic powerhouse.

Budig however is VERY strong especially in her first run as Greenlee. She can (and does) act circles around Cameron and Minshew and could go toe to toe with Thorsten, Susan and Vincent if she wanted but she has gotten lazy and doesn't want to do that most of the time. She barely looks like she even wants to be there.

Havins is quite strong and is a little powerhouse when she gets the material for it. Specifically when anything comes up about Little Adam or any thing involving her son she is extremely strong when it comes to material about that. All through out the Baby switch storyline she was able to hold her own with the likes of Vincent, Eden, Bobbie, Young, Micheal E. Knight and others all of whom were very good actors and actresses during this time period.

Sorry not impressed at all with Egan who only works when she is playing crazy insane Annie or using over the top acting techniques which make her a cartoon character. Nor am I impressed with Minshew who works her best when she has other people to play off of and is not the center of attention.

• Members

Babe haters AND fans. This is an equal opportunity threadjacking.

As for Jamie, I don't feel much about his return. He was one of those characters I forgot about the moment he was gone. But I do hope he gets a scene with Brooke. She's the only one who was ever able to make me feel anything for him.

I'm really trying not to begrudge anyone the return of a actor/character they love but looking at this thread, the return of AH/Babe really tests that for me. I'm just going to keep hoping its short. If all she does is appear to JR and tell him to stop being such a dick that will be fine.

• Members

The biggest problem with Budig has always been a total lack of warmth, which always killed the entire purpose of Greenlee (She didn't have a father who loved her! She just had money! Poor her!). She made a little more of an effort the first time around but that was usually more about aggressiveness than anything else. This nasty person goes around browbeating and throwing out slurs and we're supposed to pity her because the writing says so. Mishnew, or Havens for that matter, usually were able to bring more empathy into their performances.

Budig is one of the worst choices for a leading female I can ever think of on a soap. I've never gotten it and never will.

• Members

I agree that Greenlee sans Leo isn't very likable. He softened her and softened her edges so to speak and made her rootable. I don't think Budig is a strong romantic actress nor do I think she works well in comedy outside of the sacastic, snarky bitch role that is perfect for Greenlee. But Greenlee was never supposed to be a protagonist she was always supposed to be an anti-heroine. But if nothing else Budig is formidable when she is 'on' just watch her scenes with Duhmel and Vincent. I don't think Greenlee's lack of warmth necessarily makes Budig a poor actress as she can still tear up a dramatic scene with the best of them, not unlike that of Alison Sweeney who I think is also an extremely talented and aggressive performer. When she is in a scene and is tearing into her material you can't look away from her and it's great to watch.

Agreed but she also makes it work and come together in a way which was realistic and palatable, contrast her performances with the cartoonish Egan or the horrible choices that Minshew makes in dramatic scenes and they make Budig look like Erika Slezak. Yes Budig is aggressive but there is also something in her portrayal that gives it a powerful authority and grounds her scenes and stops it from being pure soap opera camp. Being aggressive in itself doesn't make a good actress. Bree Williamson for instance is very aggressive and very campy and over the top in most of her dramatic scenes and it's all quite superfluous and she could benefit from taking it down by a notch or twelve. Budig knows how to make the right choices and control/temper her acting which gives it a kind of mastery that a lot of other actresses don't have. Budig is disciplined.

I agree with this. Minshew and Havins have soft eyes and give softer performances and also in several ways take less risks in an effort to appear more demure and in a way more likable. But also as a result of those (non) choices they don't have as much 'heft' to their performances. I will say that I think Havins manages to get there in a way that Minshew just can't access without turning into a bad Mexican telenova parody but I do agree that Havins and Minshew have it in them to appear more vulnerable and likable and have it mean something to those watching.

I don't think she is the worst choice necessarily. The problem with Budig is hardly the first time in soap history that this has happened. Strafford and Flannery have come across this vulnerability problem as well at points, the problem being that the lack of likability makes it hard for viewers to like and care for their characters. In terms of who is able to perform I would say Budig is one of their top female performers after the long time soap veterans.

Archived