Rep. Anthony Weiner Admits Tweeting Lewd Photo

Max

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this. I'll give anybody a pass on what they do in their private life provided the 1.)aren't blatant hypocrites of the type you mention above. Declare gay marriage an attack on the family every day, the take rentboy on vacation to "carry their luggage" and; 2.)don't spend constituent money (Edwards) or use public resources (Sanford) or break the law (Vitter and I put Ensign in this category even though he hasn't been charged because he essentially stalked and coerced that woman into sleeping with him.)

• Members

Many top Democrats, including Nancy Pelosi, are now calling for Weiner to resign. These demands are coming as Delaware police (according to CNN) are questioning a teen regarding a possible online relationship with Weiner.

Qfan, given your belief that Stanford should not have resigned, I owe you an apology (for assuming that you believed all Republicans involved in sex scandals should resign).

By the criteria you listed above, Marceline, Bill Clinton would have to be considered a moral values hypocrite. That's because Mr. Clinton signed into law (back in September 1996) the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which defined marriage as a legal union between a man and a woman. (Clinton also frequently advertised the fact that he attended church on a regular basis.) Thus, while he was destroying his own marriage, Clinton was telling gay people they were second-class citizens who had no right to marry.

Rarely do I see liberals attack Clinton for DOMA, and I've never heard a liberal accuse Clinton of being a moral vaules hypocrite. At a time when he could have broke new ground in civil rights, Mr. Clinton instead chose to pander to homophobics. And perhaps the biggest outrage of all is that there was not even a political reason for Clinton to be so cowardly on this matter. While (it seems like) many in the gay community give Democrats a free pass on the issue of gay marriage--because opposing it is "something they need to do in order to win elections"--not even that excuse holds water here, since Clinton would have still easily defeated Bob Dole had he not signed DOMA.

• Members

Wow, how ridiculous. It wasn't so long ago Senator John Ensign had an affair with a staffer;s wife and used his position to get lobbying work for her husband, and then used his office to help out the new lobbyist. Then he paid them cash to keep quiet via his parents, and got another senator to try and broker a deal. Nobody asked him to resign.

Anthony Weiner doesn't even cheat on his wife, and he has to go? And worst of all, Bill and Hillary of all people are shocked and disgusted by the whole thing. Bill Clinton? And Hillary was probably down in the war room trying to figure out how to turn the Lewinsky scandal into a net win. I love the Clintons, but this is all just too much. What did this guy do? Even his wife isn't leaving him.

• Members

Believe it or not, Qfan, I actually share your outrage when it comes to all of these Democrats calling on Weiner to resign. The rationale that they are giving--that he has violated the public trust by lying about his sex life--shows that these Dems are complete hypocrites. After all, Bill Clinton violated the public trust when he lied to the public about having sexual relations with "that woman," yet I didn't hear a single peep from any Democrat calling for his resignation. (And Clinton's betrayl of trust was worse that Weiner's, since Clinton actually lied in a court of law in addition to lying to the public at large.)

The difference between these two situations is simple: On the one hand, the Democrats supported Clinton because he had high approval ratings as a result of the "sizzling" economy (because the economy was so good, the American people did not want to change presidents under any circumstances). On the other hand, Democrats are now throwing Weiner under the bus because he has become a political liability: the Dems want to trash Paul Ryan and his Medicare plan, but Weinergate has prevented that from happening (by consuming all of the media attention).

And if Bill Clinton tells Weiner to resign, then he is the biggest hypocrite of them all, in addition to being a coward. Why you love the Clintons is beyond me, as they are the two most self-serving politicans I have ever observed.

• Members

I certainly agree with the above: that's why the president should be held to a higher standard than a mere Congressman. This further supports my opinion that the Democrats are hypocrites by calling for Weiner to resign when they had no problems with Clinton remaining in office.

• Members

My point was people are more likely to support the president then just one of 435 Congressmen...besides we're really going back in time with this huh? lol i didn't condone what Clinton did but it's water under the bridge now.

• Members

The Clintons are a fascinating couple. They could fill Shakespearean drama easily. First there is nobody smarter than these two, and while they are self serving they use their Machiavellian, self serving ways to serve the people. They try to do good, but use bad ways to do good. Nobody can ever say Clinton did bad as a President. The country had a robust economy, and he actually balanced budgets and turned a profit. He tried his best to achieve peace for Israel, Ireland and anywhere he could. She is equally hard working, and while she got into the Senate by marriage, even her critics said she was a good Senator who did the work. Obama wrecked them, and I think the country paid a heavy price. Had Hillary won and Bill backdoored himself back into the swing of things I think the country would be a lot better off.

Then, and this will always be to Clinton's credit, he is smarter than his enemies and everyone who tried to run him out of office wound up going down in flames while he continued to smile. Bill is now a world power broker able to do business with any power player on earth, and his nemesis Newt can't get elected dog catcher. He drove the Limbaughs of the word crazy, and for that he deserves our eternal respect. And then we saw last year when Obama handed the press conference to him that even today he has a complete mastery of the issues and is able to explain the most complex concepts in easy to understand terms. There just is no one better than Bill Clinton and that's why I would vote for him for a third term if possible.

• Members

I wasn't happy with Clinton for DOMA or DADT and I have plenty of things I disagree with Obama on and have since the campaign. (I'm still pissed about FISA.) But here's the thing, I don't expect to agree 100% with my elected officials on everything. It's beyond childish to think that my President, senator or representative is going to do everything I would want. That why I find it ridiculous when someone goes down a list and says "What about this? And this? And this? I bet you don't support him or her anymore! Hahahahaha!" The best I can hope for is that these people figure out how wrong they are one day and admit it. Much the way Clinton did with Rwanda.

• Members

Possible Pre-Emption alert for OLTL - 6/16...The show may be pre-empted so the network may broadcast the announcement of the cancellation of another daytime drama -- this one, a short-lived one, has been on the air for a little less than four weeks. The announcement will be made by the show's star, Congressman Anthony Weiner (D-NY, 9th Congressional District) It is expected that Congressman Weiner will announce his resignation.

What will become of Anthony Weiner?

What will become of his pregnant wife, who is the Chief of Staff for US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton?

These and many other questions may never be answered as the curtain falls on this short live, but highly talked about soap opera.

Archived