Rep. Anthony Weiner Admits Tweeting Lewd Photo

Max

• Members

While I'm thrilled that Weiner resigned, I am beyond pissed over the Democratic hypocrisy on this matter. Previously, if a Democrat had a sex scandal, all the other Democrats would immediately come to his defense by stating that "sex lives are private, and thus should not cause one to resign because private matters have no bearing on one's handling of a public office." With Weiner, however, all of the powerful Democrats immediately changed their tunes and threw him under the bus. This "about-face" was not the result of Dems all of a sudden having higher moral standards; rather, it was because Weinergate was distracting all of the attention away from what the Dems really want to talk about: Paul Ryan and his Medicare plan.

If there is one person who I thought would still publicly support Weiner, it would have to be Bill Maher. After all, Maher's mantre has always been that if a public official is a Democrat, then his sex life is completely irrelevant. However, last week on Anderson Cooper's show, Maher finally called for Weiner's resignation: he said that the only reason why Weiner should resign was because his scandal was bad for the Democratic party, and (in Maher's opinion) what's bad for the Democratic party is bad for the country. On the one hand, I applaud Maher for his crass honesty. On the other hand, however, my opinion of him has diminished greatly, because even though Maher is an ultra-liberal, I never before took him to be a partisan hack.

I never criticized you for not agreeing with Clinton (or any other Democrat) 100% of the time, so your accusation that I was "childish" to bash you for that was completely false. Instead, what I criticized you for was your unwillingness to acknowledge that Clinton is a moral values hypocrite. Now, by your own admission, included among moral values hypocrites are those that say and do things to stop gay marriage (because such lawmakers claim that gays being allowed to marry would ruin the "sanctity" of the institution) while at the same time commit adulterty (thereby ruining the sanctity of marriage). Thus, there is no way you can be intellectually honest with yourself and claim that Clinton is not a moral values hypocrite. (Whether you personally agree with Clinton 100% of the time is irrelevant to the matter of him being a moral values hypocrite.)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived