Kelly Clarkson Rebuffs "Idol" *UPDATED*

kingtechla

• Members

I don't think its about ego at all. The BS the "Idol" winners have to put up with after they win is incredible. All artistic integrity is taken away and their contracts are like straight jackets. The only reason Kelly has been so successful is because she has moved away from it. I don't blame her at all. "A Moment Like This" was dreadful.

Carrie may be doing alright, but she's just another pretty girl, with a decent voice singing already-done schmaltzy Country songs. "Jesus, Take The Wheel" is a complete rip off of Martina McBride's "Concrete Angel"...she is completely unoriginal...but again, people gobble that stuff up with a spoon.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First off, I want to say that there is no reason to call Kelly a bitch. There are many singers who don't want their music used on the show. It's there right. Kelly is trying to distance herself from the show. She's not turning her back because it was the fans who voted her to win. Why do you think she didn't appear on the show last year?

When she won, she basically signed away all creative control and look what it got her. A failed movie (which they forced her to do), a commercially successful album w/ everyone saying she wouldn't have a successful second one. But she proved them wrong. She left her management and joined a new team who put her first. She put effort into her songs (she co-wrote damn near all of the songs on Breakaway).

I respect Kelly for having the balls to say or her management to say "Thanks for the offer, but no thanks". She's not getting a big head or turning her back on American Idol. It's not like she said "I'd be here without American Idol" or anything like that. She's not pissing on the show. We don't know if she herself said no or whether it was her management or record company.

It amazes me how fans can sing the praises of someone one week and turn on them the next. Kelly's done her time with AI. She has repeatedly said that she is greatful for the opportunity that American Idol has given her. She has lasted longer than what people have thought. She was expected to fade away after the first season but she didn't. She managed to shed the stigma away from being a "contest winner" and has proved herself to be a credible artist. Give her a break.

• Members

Thematically, it is a rip off and even the way the song is structured. The music doesn't sound alike. To each his own. Carrie Underwood, like Faith Hill, is completely boring to me. She brings nothing to the table except she's just furthering the awful state that Country music is in. I don't think it's her fault, she's probably being controlled behind the scenes like every other AI winner.

• Members

I think Mariah doesn't allow her songs either right?

Kelly just wants to shed the American Idol tag that has always been on her, though she has never said that she wants to forget how she is where she is today. That is why she didn't perform on last year's finale.

If she doesn't want to let her songs be sung, then its her right. I'd say the same thing if Fantasia or Ruben or Carrie didn't let their songs be sung on Idol either, even though I'm not a fan of either Fantasia or Ruben

• Members

Wow look at how quick things changed once this went public :rolleyes: .

I don't think Kelly was behind this because she always acknowledges AI as her start. I think this was her management and they were being really stringent and I think maybe once this got out she talked it over and didn't like the negative publicity. I don't blame Kelly for this at all but I do blame her manangement. Oh well crisis over :D .

• Members

I agree.

Also, one thing Kelly is not is a !@#$%^&*] or a snot or ignorant about her past. She's very forthcoming about her beginnings. And she mentions AI and current competitiors in a lot of interviews too. She's even been back to perform a lot.

I really feel like this is the record company's doing.

• Members

I don't blame Kelly in the least. Breakaway was her own doing. She has every right to deny AI from using her songs. Yes, they gave her her chance, four years ago. Most of the Idols have since disappeared, while Kelly has remained by taking her career out of the hands of AI and into her own. The results? A kick-ass album and much deserved success.

As an Idol herself, why would she want other Idols, her potential competition in the business, to get famous and recognition by singing one of her songs? Her actions may come off as classless and she herself, a !@#$%^&*], but it's her own right and I support her in it.

She is an artist in the music industry now, and regardless of where and how she got her start, she has the right just as any other artist does in making a decision to allow American Idol to use her material.

Yeah, there's my two cents...lol

• Members
I think Simon's reaction is purely bitter. Kelly never had massive success until she broke away from the show, so if she did decide to do this, I'd say, you go girl! Did it get her exposure? Sure it did. Her winnign has nothing to do with her success, though.

Archived