Kelly Clarkson Rebuffs "Idol" *UPDATED*

kingtechla

• Members

Clarkson Won't Let 'Idol' Use Her Songs By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

3 minutes ago

PASADENA, Calif. - Singer Kelly Clarkson, who vaulted to fame as the first "American Idol" winner in 2002, is not letting any of her songs be used by new contestants on the show.

A spokesman for Clarkson insisted it's nothing personal, but the stance prompted a public scolding from "American Idol" judge Simon Cowell.

"I think that by ignoring the show you're ignoring the audience who put you there," Cowell said Tuesday.

Clarkson has become a major star in the past year, with her hit "Since U Been Gone" earning both massive sales and critical respect, particularly from a rock community that has looked upon "American Idol" contestants warily. Her album "Breakaway" earned a Grammy nomination for best pop vocal album.

Yet it may have cost her a good relationship with the nation's most popular talent show.

"American Idol" must obtain permission from owners of song licenses before the music can be used on the show. While many love the exposure, some artists — the Beatles, for one — like to rigidly control use of their music.

Clarkson is not allowing any of her songs to be licensed for other uses, said Roger Widynowski, a spokesman for Sony BMG. "It has nothing to do with `Idol,' " he said.

The show's executive producer, Nigel Lythgoe, said he requested songs to be used on this year's show. He said he's not even sure Clarkson herself is aware of the situation.

Before "Breakaway," Clarkson fired Simon Fuller, the "American Idol" creator, as her manager, saying that although he is a "great guy," she needed someone who could give her career more attention. She teamed with Swedish hitmaker Max Martin on "Since U Been Gone."

It's the same delicate position faced by countless other musicians through show biz history, wanting to break away and show artistic independence without alienating those who gave them their start.

Cowell said he hoped Clarkson would let her music be used on "American Idol."

"No matter how talented Kelly Clarkson is, she would not be in the position she's in now without winning this show," he said. "And forget the way she feels about us or the producers or anybody else, or the terrible songwriters she alleges she was with which sold her millions of records.

"It's the public who bothered to pick up the phone to vote for her," he said. "If she refuses to give songs to be used on the show, it's like saying to every person who voted for you, `you know what? Thank you. I'm not interested in you anymore.'"

With the seemingly unquenchable public interest in "American Idol," it's not like the show really needs Clarkson. But she's plainly the best example producers can point to as proof that they can open the door to wish fulfillment.

Sony's Widynowski said he would not comment on Cowell's remarks.

Clarkson, in an interview with The Associated Press last year, said she knows she'll always be identified as an "American Idol," and she has no problems with that.

"That's where I got my start," she said. "They always talk about the big first thing that you did. I think the only thing that I do mind is I don't want people to only focus on that."

For his part, Cowell said, "I don't like this, when they walk away from the show and kind of forget."

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, I have always liked her. But this is shocking news. I cannot believe that she is doing this. I mean even when her career was still struggling esp. in the first year she came on the show to promote her albums and to get on TV specials and all. This definitely puts her in a different light in my eyes.

• Members

Wow I love Kelly and respect her right to separate herself from the show but this is like biting off the hand that feeds you. AI let her come on several times and plug her album and such and she won't let them use her songs. I can understand you don't want people to butcher them but if she lets them use them it would be good promotion for her since people might hear her stuff and like the songs enough to buy her album. This has happened to me and my friends who watch Idol. We hear the contestants singing some songs and once in awhile there will be a song or two that I like and that makes me go out and get the album. Oh well it doesn't really matter but I am shocked at this. The article does mention though that AI isn't even sure if she knows about what is going on-it may just be her management doing this.

• Members

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what Kelly is doing. Yes, AI made her known, but when she broke away and made Breakaway, she established herself as a true artist and a force to be reckoned with with songs she cowrote and wrote herself.

She'll always be grateful to AI, but seriously, look what total devotion did to Clay, Ruben, Fantasia, and soon to be Carrie. Can you blame her?

• Members

Simon Cowell, step off of the jackass you rode in on. With a voice like hers, she would have evntually been discovered. She's phenomenal!

BTW, I totally agree with your post, Shawn, except for the Carrie part. She is rocketing to fame in the country music industry with her first single "Jesus Take The Wheel".

• Members

I love Kelly but I'm taken aback by this. Wouldn't she want some other girl to be in her shoes and if she made it to Hollywood with her song, what's the big deal? I really didn't even know you could do that but I guess since IDOL is televised you can tell them what songs the contestants can and cannot sing. OMG that's pathetic! It really seems like all these young teen female pop stars are doing stupid and moronic things since they hit it big. Yeah, that's right--I read in People magazine that Ashley Simpson had a fan kiss her FOOT for an autograph :o and freakin' Paris Hilton shows her ass in a video. How nice :rolleyes: They need to get these !@#$%^&*]es off their high horse. FO SHO!

• Members

I want to clarify that I don't have a problem with her moving on as long as she doesn't fail to acknowledge where she got her start and I am not saying that she is doing that. I hate when daytime performers move on and forget where they go their start. I just hate that so much. I always liked Larry Bryggman until in one of his plays he did before he left As The World Turns, he had them to take out all mention of his soap career. When questioned about it, he said that the Broadway world and soap operas were 2 different mediums and he didn't see the need to advertise his soap career there. That is paraphrasing what he said. Basically to me he was saying if I want to be taken seriously over here, then I need to let them forget I have done soap operas.

This that Kelly Clarkson is doing is about the same. She is pissing on the show that made her a star. It is beside the point to me whether or not she would have eventually be discovered or not. The fact is the show brought her to he limelight and gave her the ability to do what she is doing today. It may have eventually happened for her, but because of the show it happened alot quicker. I certainly hope that she does not know what is going on.

One other problem that I have is that why are her songs any better than the artists' songs that she sang when she was competing on American Idol? I'm sure that some of those writers and performers didn't want their songs butchered by her either, and despite how good she was even she hit a few sour notes when she was on Idol. I love her and her music but she is no better than they were.

Archived