OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

Thanks again Carl. I love reading these. The scenes of Jenny breaking down after losing so many of her closest loved ones sounds great too.

I do agree with Eric. With the Buchanans and Delila coming in, we lost Katrina, Karen, Will, Ina, etc. Obviously, they all weren't by choice, but 1985 saw almost an entirely different cast.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It seems like a lot of characters hung around mostly through the strength of the Karen/Marco/Jenny/Brad/Larry stories and as those characters waned, the supporting players were weeded out one by one. I think Will Vernon was dumped right after Sam was killed...kind of a slap in the face for fans of the Vernon family. What fascinates me is how long the Buchanans and the Karen-era characters did mingle with each other. It seems like Rauch, or the producer before him (Jean Arley?) got rid of most of those who weren't heavily tied to the Buchanans or Viki. I'm kind of surprised Larry made it through.

• Members

Rauch must have gotten rid of Will and Samantha then. I know he took over in the summer of 1984 which I think is when all that happened. I have got to say I am happy Larry made it though. OLTL seems to be the worst soap when it comes to keeping long-term characters, usually through their own fault.

• Members

I remember Schemering praising Rauch and the Corringtons (not sure on them, might have been another writer) for the scenes of Will taking Samantha off life support. Then he said the show collapsed in crime dramas.

OLTL tended to write out a lot of characters, or even worse, write them out then bring them back just to kill them off or waste them. The last few years were especially bad for this. It annoys me thinking of the wasted story in killing Melinda solely so that Gina Tognoni could have an excuse to look pained.

June 7, 1983

SOD6783038.jpg

SOD6783039.jpg

SOD6783040.jpg

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vpmF1Ke78k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqiRfZntoSc&feature=related

I can't help it--as much as I love so many characters/couples on the show today, I'll always miss these three and what might have been sad.png .

Fan fiction/rewrites from 2003 are looking more and more appealing now.

• Members

Thank you so much! It's so much fun to read these, and it helps take my mind off of the cancellation sad.png a little bit. I started watching in 1987/8, and I've always wondered about the early- to mid- 1980's. Honestly, I would love to read any early- to mid-1980's recaps that you have, but don't let me take advantage of you!

• Members

I forgot about Edwina. You're right. They did seem to have quite a few characters who had few ties to core names. I know they made her Ivan's daughter, but that seemed to have zero purpose.

That's what I like about OLTL, is that they often had characters who didn't have to be related to core characters, and who could stand on their own. It's one of the reasons why I didn't like the idea of "Fish/Kyle/etc. failed because they weren't CJ!" or the meaninglessness of having Rex and David as Buchanans. That just becomes bad fanfic.

OLTL tended to change so much, and to be anything at any time. It had so much potential to revive. While I don't believe RC or FV could have ever made an OLTL I would feel connected to, I'm sorry it never had the chance to live on through PP.