OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is the first time I've seen a full episode of that infamous scene where Dorian tells Viki.

I just love that weird music cue they used every time Viki or her alters were going to break. I think it was used to best effect in those scenes where Jean had a complete collapse after she was reunited with Viki's childhood doll.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I remember this episode very well. I was still pretty much a child when it aired, and when Dorian told Viki the truth I was absolutely floored and horrified. I knew some of the vague facts about Victor and the history of the show by then, and I suspected whatever was really going on had to be something very bad, but I had no idea what Dorian was going to say to Viki. And when Viki turned on her and hurled her down the stairs, I was terrified. At that time, I had no idea Viki had ever had a mental illness - she was the center of the show, the heroine, and reminded me, and always has, of my mother. To see her lose it and turn into a rabid dog was nightmare fuel for me as a kid. But I loved it.

Roger and Kassie were also so young here. "Come on, it'll be fun." When was the last time any of us can remember Todd and Blair working together or just being together like that? They finally seemed to get some (mature) peace back this past year. I hope it sticks on GH.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It's a fearless performance, and it really works. I always like how compassionate Dorian is even as she has no idea what she is unleashing. I started watching the show at the end of this, when Viki turned herself in for Victor's murder. I remember that Viki and Dorian were sort of close at this time and was sorry to see it undone. I'm glad the show ended with the two of them on a good note.

I wonder how far in advance they had planned the Victor abuse story and how far back Erika knew about it. In one of those episodes after the superflu, or whatever, there's this weird scene where she is whimpering and wakes up and starts talking about a dream with Victor. It's about 30 minutes in.

I hadn't watched this in a few years. It's the first scene with Princess. The way Jean knows what's going to happen, closes the doors, and tries to control everything as best she can and wait for Princess to leave again, it's very chilling.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I think they planned it a looong way back. I think Robin has said something about it being floated to her in 1993 when she returned. I think they had the germ of it starting with Sloan Carpenter and his expose on Victor in '92, though, and bringing back the entire case of who killed him and the commonly-held public belief that Dorian was responsible. That story went on for years and years, through the AIDS/Billy Douglas arc, the romance with Viki and Sloan, Dorian and Joey, Sloan's death (apparently always planned), and finally this. It was an absolutely masterful slow burn of years passing. No one does that today.

As a child who really started watching in '93, I was particularly awed that this was a story that had been going on for almost 20 years - Dorian had never been nailed for killing Viki's father, and they were finally hashing it out and I could be a part of it. That's the kind of engagement only the daytime drama could offer people.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It's a shame Nancy Pinkerton was never interviewed about it.

When Elaine Princi was in the role Dorian seemed to be more like a gnat to Viki - I guess Robin and Erika had more of a theatricality in their work together (I do think that Elaine was fantastic though). It was a surprise to me to learn that Dorian and Viki were close for most of the mid-80's. I think they work best when they're not too hostile or too friendly.

This was already posted too but when the reporter bothers Sloan, he shows a closeup of Dorian's tabloid column, and a little drawing of her. I'd never seen that before. I guess this wasn't too long before Robin had them end Dorian's tabloid career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql7w-CvLnPI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

• Members

Viki poses as Jean Randolph to break Bess and end the standoff for Hope/Chloe in 2009. As foolhardy as I thought this overall story was from start to finish, and as much as I hated Jessica's DID and thought "Bess" was a cartoon, I can't deny the great power of these scenes, especially the kabuki-esque reenactment of Jessica's miscarriage at the end. The scene with Viki removing Bess's glasses and slowly drawing Jessica out was spellbinding. I think this is some of Bree Williamson's very best work on the show - and I am not a big fan of her work. As distasteful as I found this whole thing, I thought this was all incredibly well-done.

Last one:

• Members

The whole cage idea and the scene where Viki is trying to be Jean and her face is to the camera as she's so devastated by what her daughter has become - those were the best parts of that whole story. I'm not quite sure what they were thinking when they brought her back in 2008...this story never should have been camp.

• Members

I liked the story in 2008 but hated how they never gave Tess any heart to balance out the anger and bitterness. She was so hateful bc of the pain she felt from losing Nash but they never really had her interact with her daughter Bree as a way to connect to him. That was a huge misstep in the story for me. Other than that, I had no problem with her plotting against Natalie and creating a secret room. I thought that made for a good storyline. Now the Bess stuff and babyswitch that came after, was where it went downhill for me

Jessica going off on Jared and Natalie at Nash's funeral remains one of my favorite scenes from 2008 and one of Bree's best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaLIixWHHQY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6UfpXA5XV8&feature=related

Edited by Cheap21

• Members

To me a lot of the story felt like a joke, as did the Teen Jess stuff a few years later. I got the feeling they patterned most of those stories on that mess in 2002 when Niki came back. The 2009 story at least had some decent wrapup but everything after that mostly relied on some weird exploitation which I never understood. Tess had a lot of fans but not for the reasons the show seemed to think.