OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

OK I've gotten further into the Harry/Nikki story and have a better handle on how well Harry and Viki supposedly knew each other.  It really is ridiculous.  There could have an added dimension with Harry working for Viki's family's but never having met her up-close, with near misses between the two serving as mini-cliffhangers. 

It could have also added a socioeconomic class element - at least, I thought the O'Neals were supposed to be working-class, although by this point Harry's the company president, so maybe not.  I think I'm also confusing Harry with what I've read about the stories involving his brother(?), Pete—whom Nikki has already mentioned—and the character Lee Patterson returned to play in the '80s.  (Wasn't that character also part of a short-lived family with one or more daughters introduced as ingenues?)

While I'm on the subject, was "Lord Manning" supposed to be named after Irene's (maiden?) name?  Didn't Viki ever wonder why Victor named his company after her college roommate?

Edited by DeliaIrisFan

• Members

Oh right, Manning was Todd's father's name.  The company was definitely called that in the '80s episodes when Harry was around and working there.  So did Irene marry Ted Clayton first (Tina had to be her eldest, if Todd was a college frat boy 15 years or so after Tina arrived?) and then a partner in Victor's company?

• Members

My understanding has always been that Victor Lord partnered with Peter Manning's father to create the Lord/Manning manufacturing business (because Harry et al pre-date Todd). Which is how Victoria became childhood friends with siblings Irene and Peter.  Then, Victor either purchased or established the newspaper business which became Victoria's primary interest.  So, the Lord fortune was from a conglomeration of companies. 

Irene conceived Tina, Todd, and Victor Jr with Victor (her consent was questionable).  Todd was adopted by Peter, and Victor was secretly raised by Irene (after she faked her death while married to the not fake Ted Clayton, who Tina thought was her father). 

The lore is that the character of Todd was established without a surname, he was just Frat Boy #2.  The Manning name was at first just a coincidence created to give a Todd a last for his trial.  Later, when the character became popular, and the writers wanted to establish more backstory and sympathy for Todd, it was established that he was abused son of Peter who was angry over raising his nephew.

But, while later writers continued to base stories on the Lord media companies, the manufacturing business was rarely mentioned.

Edited by j swift

• Members

IIRC Peter was shown on screen around the time of Todd's trial and again during the Powell Lord III serial rapist story. 

So, I guess, it makes sense to write him as Tina's first cousin once removed because it skirts the issue of why Irene asked Vicky, (and not Peter and Bitsy) to care for Tina after her death. 

Either way, I always thought it was awfully nice of Victoria to be so welcoming and supportive of the Mannings and their children. I appreciate the ongoing character trait that on the heels of her Vicky/Niki mess she didn't stand in judgement of Todd and Tina.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I think it was more than chem testing with Tina and Brad - from passing references in the scenes that have been posted, it sounds like Brad had been Tina's confidant since before Mitch showed up.  Supposedly Brad saw Tina going into the secret room months before anyone else discovered it.  Too bad those scenes seem to be lost.  I wonder if Brad was originally meant to be more involved in Tina's story and the direction changed because Roscoe Born was available and/or it was decided they couldn't go as far as to have Brad commit premeditated murder on-screen (let alone everything that followed with Mitch).

The two most recent episodes have to be out of sequence, at least I think?  Viki was being hypnotized at the end of the show on Thursday the 18th, and then she didn't even appear in what was ostensibly the next day's episode.  Unless it was a fakeout cliffhanger and the next time she appeared viewers learned that the hypnosis didn't take the first time and she's going to try again.

The Ivan story is so weird, and seemingly out of place in this (comparatively) grounded interlude of the Rauch era.  Jon Hensley was beautiful circa 1985 (and 2010, and probably now), so I can't really complain about him being scantily clad, or Rob in just those cutoff shorts.  But the shirtlessness for no reason just added another layer of silliness: like Passions had an '80s flashback episode featuring all the parents in town when they were teens.

Edited by DeliaIrisFan