OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

I had books (novelized) about The Guiding Light, All My Children, and One Life to Live.

They were paperbacks, published in the 1970s.

The All My Children book concentrated on Phil Brent and Tara Martin.

The One Life to Live book concentrated on Dr. Larry Woleck, Meridith Lord, and Karen Martin Wolek.

The Guiding Light book concentrated on Kathy Roberts.

All these storylines were originally written by Agnes Nixon.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I don't think there were ever any 3rd books for any of the ABC soaps (with Books 1 & 2 being a single, double sized volume). I believe the Soaps & Serials series folded right after their introduction, didn't it? I actually have the GH one and it's all about Phil/Jessie, Steve/Audrey, but MOSTLY about the very beginning of Lesley and the whole backstory of Laura's conception/birth that actually wasn't seen on the show (if I remember correctly because it's been 25 years or so since I've read it).

• Members

I found some of these in a thrift store as a teen--I remember I was a bit embarassed to buy them (I was very self conscious at the time) as they were categorized as romance fiction.

The ones I have are:

3 volumes of All My Children from Jove Publications the first two from 1980, the third from 1981. They cover 70s storylines and are all credited as Agnes Nixon's All My Children, a Novel by Rosemarie Santini.

Vol 1 Tara and Philip

Vol 2 Erica

Vol 3 The Lovers (Tara Chuck Erica Phil)

On the backs they call them the Saga that has Thrilled Millions and each book says it covers a few years, 1- 70-72, 2- 72-74, 3- 74-76.

The OLTL one is from the Soaps and Serials Romance label of Pioneer Press and was written by romance writer Gwendolyn Arden (who only has a tiny credit inside). It says it's based on scripts, but doesn't give any name credits to OLTL writers. My edition says it's 2 books in 1, though it's only 350 pages or so and the whole thing is called Moonlight Obsession. I haven't read this one yet (the writing isn't brilliant in these), but the back says it's about Karen, Larry and Meredith, and claims that future books will be coming, but I don't think any other OLTL ones did.

It's from 1987 and has a fun ad in the back to buy a full color map of Pine Valley, Llanview or Port Charles (ordered from ABC themselves)--I would love to have these, there's a tiny pic of the Llanview one. The book claims that either out already or coming soon are books based on Young and Restless, Guiding Light, As The World Turns, Another World, Days of Our Lives, Knots Landing and Dallas--and the big advertising claim is "find out what happened on your osaps before you started watching, from the very beginning". I admit, pre internet I would have loved these more, when it was much harder to find out about backstory (I had a thick magazine put out by SOW I think from 94 that had lengthy stories for all the soaps).

• Members

She looks beautiful! Only her hair is a lighter shade. I don't know how she keeps from aging - especially considering the amount of worry that she may have had due to her mistreatment.

She mentioned Spike Lee. She worked with Mr. Lee on the film School Daze.

She also mentioned not caring for one of her numerous leading men. I am sure that it was the actor who played Dr. Jack Scott (Arthur someone).

I wonder if she spoke at the funeral of Lillian Hayman?

• Members

I totally agree.

Yes, Arthur Burghardt. She doesn't mention him by name in her book, but anyone familiar with her leading men can deduce who she's writing about.

I'm not sure is she spoke at LH's funeral, it's been so long since I read One Life.

• Members

This is a fantastic scene, especially the end ("Go to hell" "I intend you"), and the pinball machine.

I really wish they had not taken so much away from Marty after the rape. I get that she was a huge self-destructive bitch at this time, and she was only this way so they could redeem her via rape, but she has so much more personality and complexity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPPvQGfFoI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8svqoeIvAms