OLTL: Discussion for the week of April 4

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Despite everything Todd has done over the years, I still believe he could become (after a long and rocky road) a much more honorable human being - maybe not as honorable as Dr. Larry Wolek, but certainly, more honorable than he is now. Unfortunately, OLTL has this habit of hiring actors for this particular role (first, Roger Howarth; now, TSJ) who are bored easily and want to keep the character in this state of suspended, perpetual annoyance.

Perhaps. But I think there's a difference between fickleness and impatience with corrupt storytelling.

• Members

On some level an audience is always fickle. You address that by writing stories that a viewer can appreciate even if they don't agree with them. Instead the soaps just blatantly ignores viewer interest or tries to manipulate them. I doubt more than a small minority of viewers want to see sexual abuse turned into hot times, yet this happens every damn year.

• Members

Agree. And that's true regardless of age. No one young or old(er) wants to sit through a story that feels like a ginormous waste of time. No matter what year it is, whether or not women still stay at home during the day, how many of 'em tape or DVR their shows, or if Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson were still alive.

• Members

i don't think there's anything camp about the aubrey character -- nothing in the way it's written, nothing in the way it's played.

david is campy, tess is campy...aubrey's not campy.

i thought FF was decent during the suicide crisis. she wasn't emmy-worthy, but she wasn't bad, either. JPL, on the other hand, was great. he gets a ton of flack on here, but he did great work on those episodes, and so did the kid who plays shane. i felt bad for all of them as a family.

as jack, adam trischitta continues to be THE worst kid actor of all time. unbearable. i didn't think the blair/jack scenes were strong, either. blair underwhelmed me with her upset at jack's involvement in shane's crisis.

• Members

I wouldn't blame AMC's current struggles on the writing not being "exciting" enough for fans. I would blame them on the show no longer having its unique mix of small-town warmth, gentle humor and social relevance, as well as the fact much of the storyline features characters (and actors) who've long since worn out their welcome with the audience.

• Members

AMC has its good points and ideas, but a series of dismal or played-out characters, and a lot of weak tea concepts from the head writers.

OLTL has good ideas and characters, but a wild plethora of horrific storylines or new actors. The Shane story is crippled by poor writing up til the last week, and the unbelievably bad Andrew Trischitta. The Todd/Tomas story is still hinging on the idea that we should care about and fear for Trevor St. John's Todd and his fate. The Brody/Natalie/Marty/John mess has some promising chemistry between ML and MA but is perched on the idea that we must eventually accept John and Natalie back together and Brody out in the cold, and Marty just hopefully not dead. And then there's Kelly, Joey, Tess, Cutter, Ford, etc. - don't get me started. While Eddie Alderson is doing amazing work, I have no faith that he will be allowed a major storyline this summer while Lenny Platt and company still draw breath.

• Members

The rapemance should have been what would have ended Todd as a character. When the show changed gears from a suicidal Todd to a heroic-serial killer fighting Todd, where RC had Blair and Tea fighting over him again, all hope was lost. It's been the same cycle ever since, Todd does something irredeemable, and his supposed redemption comes in the form of him either being in danger or someone being sacrificed to illustrate his greatness.

Archived