OLTL: Discussion for the week of March 28

• Members

I think they will keep the child as Ford's because they want to keep him tied to the Buchanans and they can still write a lot of story for him even if he has a child (he will just ignore the child or keep passing him off).

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would be ecstatic if Ford turned out not to be Ryder's dad. OTOH, this is OLTL, so chances are fairly good that the kid's dad wouldn't turn out to be who we think it should be, but someone entirely gross and unnecessary, like Mitch Laurence or even Victor Lord.

• Members

who says that Brody is a loser for caring for Ryder and John is a stud for hating Liam? What show are you watching? John doesnt hate Liam and theres nothing wrong with Brody for caring for Ryder. There is something wrong with him wanting to completely shut out the bio faather from the kid's life. Ryder isnt his son; he has no say in the matter or a right to keep him from his father.

• Members

I think the show says that. Ford is the child's only father. Ford has been redeemed and is a good man. Brody is using Jessica. Brody hurt Jessica. Ford never really hurt Jessica. Ford is the ideal compared to Brody.

I do think John hates Liam. After the reveal he went out of his way to be jerky about the idea of having any contact with the child, and I think he resents this happy family life he thought he would have pulled out from under him. This is supposed to be noble, I guess, and we're supposed to be pleased that the only way he will care is if the child is his biologically (which I assume it is).

• Members

Ford is the kid's father adn EVERYONE on this show except his brothers and their girlfriends say otherwise. Im not the guy's biggest fan but he shouldnt be denied the oppurtunity to be in that kid's life if thats what he chooses. Brody needs to back off and compromose

John has nothing against the kid. He has something against his mother. WHY should John have anything to do with Liam? Thats NOT his son. He found that out rather quickly; a month after he was born. It would have been a different story had a year gone buy but with a month, its alot easier to remove himself from the situation as Liam wont remember him and John hasnt bonded with him as much. Even so, he did go visit Liam after all this went down and Natalie made it all about her, trying to guilt John into coming back to her. I dont see why John should have any obligations to them. Its absolutely ludicrious to expect him to. Liam is a packaged deal with Natalie and right now, he can barely stand to be around her, and he has every right to feel that way.

• Members

It's not just about Ford having rights. It's about the show explicitly using the biological tie to "redeem" Ford. How many times has Langston - who has existed over the last year solely for Ford propping - said he is a good man now because of the baby?

I think it would have been a much more interesting story if John did care about Liam in spite of no blood ties. John saw his brother grow to love a child who wasn't his biologically, and he was a major part of that.

I don't expect John to care about Liam, or much of anyone, frankly, but it would be more interesting than his usual passive-aggressive nothingness.

• Members

Word, Carl. Don't these people realize that DNA means nothing in comparison to the bond one has with a child? Brody can be Liam's bio dad all he wants, but if John is using that as an excuse to cut himself off emotionally from the child, then either he does not want to face the possibility of Brody intervening and keeping him from ever having a relationship with him, or John never gave a [!@#$%^&*] about the child in the first damn place.

• Members

And I have never doubted Brody's love for Jessica and selfless wish to be involved in her and the baby's life. Ford could give a damn about Jessica, the mother of his child, this is all about him and what he wants for and from the baby. I refuse to see Brody in a negative light here. Yes, he eff'd up by getting drunk and sleeping with his girl's sister. But Jessica was not all there and giving him a very hard time. He messed up. IMO, nothing he has done can compare to Ford's track record.

• Members

John can't stand any woman. That's too much effort. He will ignore Natalie until he needs to rescue her again and break her down mentally. Then he will move on to another woman, and another, and then go back to Natalie, and so on.

• Members

True. But that's what makes the story so pointless. If he cared about Liam then there would be more drama. Instead he's just doing his usual comatose whoring with sycophant Kelly. Then if Liam is his by blood he will suddenly be written as father of the year, not because of any conflict in the story, but just because that's how the show is set up now (biology is end all be all).

• Members

there is no story with Liam. John is not his father. End of story. I think you are looking for more to be there but there isnt and thats totally understandable. I think most people in his position would proceed the same way. If he's not going to be with Natalie, the mother of hte kid, then he has no business clinging onto her child, when said child already has a father that is in the picture. Its ridiculous that he is being made to have to feel guilty about thisa nd that he's expected to be obligated to raise Liam as if nothing has changed. And let me reitterate the important point that he only had Liam for a month. He's lucky the truth came out so soon. Its in everyone's best interest that he move on with his life. It could have been alot worse with the truth coming out a few years down the line and creating a big mess for all involved

Archived