Question about US soaps in foreign countries

• Members

Ive always wanted to know but for those here that watch any of the US soaps dubbed in another language, when the characters get recast with different actors, do they recast the voice actor that does the dub? I can imagine it being weird all of a sudden seeing a new face but with the same voice :lol:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From what I can recall having watched B&B and GL dubbed in italian, they don't change the voice actor when the actor in a role changes.

The voice actors are almost as important as the real actors and when they change or a temporarily replaced it's almost as daunting as a regular recast.

• Members

Haha, I was just talking about this last night in the Capitol thread. The late Angiolina Quinterno provided the Italian dub for Myrna Clegg for all three actresses who played the role (Carolyn Jones, Marla Adams, Marj Dusay), as well as for Susan Flannery's Stephanie on B&B.

• Members

It's also interesting how the voice can really affect the tone of the character. Julie Adams (Paula Denning, CAP) has a soft, sweet voice for all of Paula's deviousness and the lady who did the Italian dub has a really rough and froggy smoker's voice. I rememeber reading on some board a person from Germany saying that Sable Colby had an "awful" voice over there which made the character unpleasant where Americans luxuriated in every bit of satin and smoke that fell out of Stephanie Beacham's mouth.

• Members

I guess it makes sense that they stay on. It would have sucked for the voice actor for Charity Rahmer to get the part and go "Dang, you mean Im gonna get replaced in 3 weeks?" LOL

Thats interesting. I wonder if they ever replace voice actors bc the audience cant get into them or if TPTB dont think they are right for the part

• Members

Greece doesn't dub American shows but we dub telenovelas and there have been instances were voice actors have been changed with no explanation. It may be because the actor left or was not well received. Sometimes, when the same actor is playing different ages throughout the span of the novela, they change the actors when the character is an older age.

• Members

I read/watched a TG interview once that talked about people in Germany thinking they recognized him until he started to speak. Apparently "Luke" in German has a very Stefano Dimera type of voice - which TG certainly doesn't have - and the German fans quickly dismissed him because the voice didn't match. I realize Luke has never been recast, but TG spoke of one actor alone doing "him".

• Members

In general they DON'T recast the voice-over artists but sometimes a change happens anyway they use this to call it quits. Dubbers aren't paid that royally and tend to move on, they are often actors themselves and hence quit if they get some noteworthy gigs or replacing the dubbing studio because they aren't available. 250 episodes/a year's worth of soap episodes are usually dubbed within a few weeks in little package deals where those voice artists say all their lines for 50-100 episodes on a few days in the studio...

Characters like B&B's Thorne or Eric with have experienced dwindling airtime had 4-5 "voice recasts" over the years in Germany. Only Ridge and Brooke are still spoken by their original voices and those two work for just a few other productions whereas the majority voice over actors appear on various series if they are dubbed at the same studio...

Archived