Tristan Rogers On Contract at Y&R

• Members

Yeah, but wouldn't they have given him a contract from the start, if that were the case? Ah, I'm just a sucker for Jess Walton and would be nice to know that MAB saw Jess and "Jill" worthy enough to merit a contract for her new leading man, with whom she has gangbusters chemistry. I've been trying to watch the show on Soapnet, but honestly I find much of it unwatchable, except for the snippets of Jess and Tristan that I've seen.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think they may see the story as tanking in spite of their pushing Jill away. They probably had no real plans for Tucker after Braeden signed another contract, so they just keep him around in waiting.

The one thing that all of the hacks at Y&R seem to be united in is contempt for Jill. So if Colin is going to stay around I see them as wanting to "trade up." I certainly hope not though, especially when their idea of lead female characters is dirty trash.

• Members

Ooh, this is interesting speculation. If Nikki gets a "surprising" new love interest now that Deacon-Nikki is tanked, I was assuming it would be Jack Abbott (perfect payback for Victor, and vaguely foreshadowed in the fantasy episode). But Colin is VERY intriguing. If Colin helps Nikki out of the gutter it shows the better side of him, and it fuels one of the more promising directions (IMO), which is a Jill/Nikki rivalry. With Judith Chapman off contract (sob!), it doesn't seem there'll be any continued Jill-Gloria rivalry/partnership in the future.

My assumption (like many others) had been they were retelling the Ghost tale (Goldberg-Swayze-Moore). I still sort of believe this, with Rogers playing the Tony Goldwyn "baddie" who must be exposed.

It would be nice if they were veering OFF the movie script, and taking Rogers in a surprising direction that better utilized what he could bring to the canvas. Although it is completely schmaltzy, I'd rather love to see the character of Colin strive to take a better direction after losing both of his children. Moreover, it would be nice to see Colin become controlling of his grandchildren and maybe even interfere in the lives of Nikki and Jill's children--much as he tried to control his own children's lives. That could be an old-school meddling parent, in the vein of Adam Chandler, Palmer Courtland, Edward Quartermaine, Mary Williams, Phoebe Tyler, Enid Nelson, etc.

Implicit in what I wrote above is my belief that Rogers, not Nichols, could be a TRUE likely successor for the "powerful alpha male" position on this show.

I'm pretty sure the Tucker arc is shaping up to be this:

1. Tucker (through Jack and Victoria) helped to divide the Newmans.

2. Now, he'll conquer. By some story contrivance, he'll end up controlling both Jabot and Newman Enterprises.

3. The divided Newmans will realize they're stronger together than apart. They'll agree to set aside their differences to fight Tucker, and in the process, rebuild some aspect of their family -- maybe even on a more equal and respectful footing. (I know, I'm too hopeful--Braeden won't allow it). In my dream world, the Newmans would even have to fold together with the Abbotts to take down their common enemy.

4. Although a story like this could take years, I'm guessing that by May, Tucker will be found murdered. (I don't want this, but I'm feeling it). Suspects will be all the Newmans, Abbotts, and Chancellors. The whodunit will be wrapped up no later than November sweeps (probably earlier), and it will give them one of those big umbrella stories they crave.

I'm not thrilled about a whodunit, but (a) the best moments on Y&R in recent years have emerged from these umbrella tales -- like Katherine's death and this "Fall of the House of Newman/King Lear" tale, (B) if it rids us of that deplorable cold fish, Tucker, anything would be worthwhile.

With Nichols gone, returning to the topic of this thread, Rogers could ascend to his rightful place as Victor's true rival for control of Genoa City.

• Members

I'm not eager for a whodunit, though I am eager to be rid of Tucker. And it just FEELS like a setup for such a tale...Diane, Kay, Jill, all Newmans, all Abbotts ...EVERYONE has a motive. In the end, it'll be some British payola victim or something who actually dun it...

Likewise, DF!

• Members

Yeah. Finally someone said it. They might decide to finally dump Jill.

Jill is the most peculiar character. I wonder if the majority of people would notice she disappeared. Considering how useless she's been and how much they've trashed her. She is very niche-y in the most fascinating of ways.

• Members

I don't think dumping Jill is something they'd do lightly. They'd probably have to get approval from the upper rungs of Sony. I think ATWT was considering killing off Tom Hughes at one point, probably during Sheffer, and P&G wouldn't let them do it, since he was too important to the foundation of the show. I think it'd be the same with Jill. Although who knows how much power MAB exactly has. Eventually dumping Jess Walton in favor of a cheaper actress is something I could see them doing, but I don't really ever see them cutting the character. Especially now with Jeanne Cooper way up there in age. Who knows how much longer before she retires and Jill is left as the sole link to the show's early days. I would think that'd mean something to MAB. Although with Cooper gone and the Jill-Kay feud a memory, they might think that it would be the perfect time to dump Jill. Maybe MAB purposely connected her to the Fenmore-Baldwins in order to keep her tied to the canvas once Kay is off the show. I love Jill. I hope she stays on the canvas either with preferably Jess or another actress until the show ends. That would seem fitting.

• Members

Do you think her particular brand of dysfunctional appeals to most people? Do you think of yourself as a fairly standard Y&R fan, in no way particularly different from some housewive in the Midwest or wherever? Or do you see in this soap the majority of people do not?

Archived