Egyptian Government on Verge of Collapse

Adam

• Members

Egyptian Unrest

I don't know how many have been following this today, but the implications of this are huge. This has been building over the past weeks, but today it seemed to hit a fever pitch. The government is suspended cell phone service, cut off internet to almost the entire country, and imposed a curfew nation wide which is being broken in droves. Police stations are being burned and ransacked, the army is now in charge of security, but appear to not really be doing anything to stop it suggesting their loyalty is with the people and not the authoritarian regime of Mubarak. This is very relevant to me as I just completed a course on Middle Eastern Politics. The Egyptian regime is a close ally with the USA and integral to the Middle Eastern peace process. If the dictatorship of Mubarak falls there are alot of unknowns including the potential for the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood gaining power which could change the face of the Middle East.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've caught some of this on the news the past few days. It seems like there is a lot of this kind of thing in the news later....the unrest in Tunisia, the rioting in London, the civil war in Sudan, and now ths...in addition to everything else already going on in the world. It's scary...

• Members

What I'm amazed most by this has been those connections to the Wikileaks documents. What I thought was just third rate, low level stuff and perhaps some rather offensive comments turned out to be a big deal especially in Tunisia. The Tunisians long felt their leadership was a joke, learning that the U.S. did too was the tipping point there. I think right now of course we're on the fence on seeing which ways these revolutions will be headed, which either democracy or police/religious state. As for US/Western interventionism, stay out of it.

For the record, I am positive huge political upheaval of similar nature will occur in the U.S. Maybe not in the next couple years, but I definitely do see it happening in the near future.

• Members

If anyone is interested, al jazeera is the best place to get all your egypt news.

http://english.aljazeera.net/

just click watch live and you can see what the rest of the english speaking world can see but we Americans apparently are not allowed to because the terrorists might brainwash us or something. Anyway, I have been watching all week and they have pretty decent coverage with reporters on the ground.

• Members

I doubt anyone will invade Egypt and I doubt this will change anything in the Middle East. Too many countries have too much invested in Egypt to let that go to the wayside. Egypt's new president will be US/Israel tested, Egyptian Citizens approved.

BTW...Christiane Amanpour has the biggest balls of anyone covering this Egyptian Revolution.

• Members

Anderson always is in the hot spots, one of the reasons I like him. Surprised something like this hadn't happened to him already actually. You know it will only drive his need to get the stories out there though.

Christiane Amanpour is one gritty reporter. I love that woman!

Archived