Things About Your Soaps that you're THANKFUL FOR

• Members

Since it IS Thanksgiving, I thought this would be an appropriate topic and honestly, I don't remember even seeing it before. I'll be back with more later, but here's my first and MAIN thing I'm thankful for: The invention of.......

YOUTUBE!!!!!

There was a long time there where I thought I'd NEVER get to see my beloved Santa Barbara again, my Cruz & Eden, my Keith & Gina, Eden & Kirk in Aqualand, my Marcy winning her Emmy, SB winning THEIR Emmy.........and it's all there! Forever captured for us!

Plus, not only do I get those fantabulous clips, but I can re-live DAYS in the 80s, Roman & Stefano on the cliff, I FINALLY got to see Mitch/Rachel/Mac/Janice in St Croix (heard about it my WHOLE life), old Y&R clips, Search For Tomorrow, Luke Perry on Loving, and the list goes on.

Youtube- thank you, Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank god for Youtube. I regretted not watching some shows and/or not recording and saving others over the years but thanks to YT, Ive been able to relive the moments and in some cases see some for the first time.

On a flipside, Im not thankful for production companies putting a shutdown on some footage that makes it up on there, especially since they arent making money off of it through DVD sales or what not. Just let the fans enjoy it.

• Members

I'm thankful for the character of Abby Abbott Carlton Newman. I have actually REALLY warmed up to Marcy Rylan and am seeing some of the warmth that her mother (Brenda Epperson the REAL Ashley, not Eileen) used to exude. But, no matter how good she gets, she will NEVER top this performance given by predecessor Darcy Rose Byrnes:

My link

• Members

Definitely Youtube. I would not be watching soaps again if I had not stumbled onto Youtube episodes of ATWT and GL. Then I started seeing old OLTL clips again, not to mention the classic and forgotten soaps which now have something of a new life online, like SFT, EON, Another Life.

So I would say thank you to Oakdalian, and to the late ClassicGL, for getting me started. And then, VickRobCal. And saynotoursoap. And LOLFanme. And 0814. And No2Souls. And Clips2Share. And HamiltonBernique. And many others I'm forgetting.

I am also thankful to Soapnet for keeping RH on the last decade, even when the channel harshly rejected most other soap content. Sometimes I've lost interest but I have known I can always go back and see my old friends in Riverside one more time. This has also helped to let people discover the ridiculously underrated talents of Sarah Felder and Randall Edwards and Malcolm Groome and other names of the soap past, and has given a showcase to late, great talents like Bernie Barrow and Nancy Addison.

• Members

Thanks Carl, I was caught up in Big Brother over the summer and didn't get back in the habit of posting here afterward. I agree with what you and others have said about YouTube too. Some of the classic black and white GL clips were especially compelling to me.

• Members

I'm also thankful for YouTube. How could a soap fan not be? We don't get reruns (or, we don't get them very often or for very long), we don't get DVDs, we used to get a clip here or there on retrospective-type shows, so once YouTube came to be, and people with ridiculously large soap collections started putting their stuff online...it was like we finally got the luxury of reliving our favorite soap moments commercial free, unedited, and on demand. After years of reading about old AMC characters and storylines, I actually got to see them and get to know them as if I'd been watching all those years ago. It's a really great thing.

• Members

I'm honestly thankful for the current regime running DAYS. Never, ever did I think I would be this into the show again. Is it perfect? No way. Is it sort of superficial and silly? Totally. But it's still Days of Our Lives, and TPTB don't seem at all ashamed of its history. The renewal through 2013 makes me really happy -- I get to keep visiting Salem, for better or worse, for another three years. In the current soap climate, it's something for which I am truly grateful.

Archived