Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

I'm pretty sure Paul mentioned Newman Towers for the new offices and yes it had Penthouse apartments there as well. Nikki and Jack meet in one and Victor spies on them in 1987

Jabot was in its own building and I don't remember any other company being mentioned there

Victor and Leanna, I thought also lived in Newman but maybe not. I don't remember Jill living in the same condo building as Victor. After her 1986 divorce she was in the Genoa City Hotel Penthouse and I thought she pretty much moved in with Keith after her second divorce, which is why when kay ruined that relationship Jill forced her to let her move in as she had no home to go to.

Did Jill have another residence after her second divorce? I don't remember that

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I sure don't pretend to have expert recall, lol.  

In the first episode, Sally McGuire famously said, "Kind of a drag, isn't it.  Being stuck in a place like Genoa City.  God, I feel so restless."  In the same episode, the truck driver told Brad Eliot, "Genoa City -- nice-sized town, but I prefer St. Paul.  That's where the family is."    

We were given the idea from Day One that Genoa City was a fairly *small* to *mid-sized* Midwestern metropolis, not nearly as big as a Chicago or even a Detroit or Minneapolis.  

In the early 1990s, Victor Newman advised Hope Wilson that Genoa City was comparable to Wichita, Kansas -- population about 400,000 in 1990, with a metro population of around 500,000.  

The high-rises that I remember being featured from early on were the Genoa City Hotel and Genoa Towers.  There was a restaurant called "The Embers" in one of them (Genoa Towers, I believe).

Lorie Brooks moved into a penthouse, circa 1978, which was located at 247 East Chestnut.  Lorie's unit was #2500, indicating her apartment was on the 25th floor.  Vanessa Prentiss jumped to her death from the balcony in 1981.  During Lorie's trial, they gave the address about a zillion times -- "247 East Chestnut #2500".  This was an inside joke of Bill Bell's, because his co-writer, Kay Alden, resided in real-life at 247 East Chestnut #2500 in the Streeterville neighborhood of Chicago. 

From Lorie's balcony, we could see a cluster of several high-rises -- not a Chicago by any stretch of the imagination, but more a Wichita.  

Jabot's corporate offices were on 4th Street.  The "corporate suites" were on the 12th floor, indicating the building was likely 12 stories. 

Kevin Bancroft, an architect, was hired to design a new high-rise (Newman Towers) in 1981.  Much ado was made about Newman Towers being 35 stories, among the tallest in the city.  The address given for Newman Towers was 7800 Melrose, another Bill Bell inside joke -- Y&R was recorded at 7800 Beverly Blvd in Los Angeles. 

Paul moved his office into Newman Towers to "upgrade his image".  As someone mentioned, Nikki took an apartment in Newman Towers to "have a place in town to spend the night" when she "didn't feel like driving back to the ranch"; instead, her apartment became a love nest with Jack Abbott. 

Victor and Diane, during their marriage, lived on the top floor of Newman Towers. 

The show did a few remotes in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, back in the 1980s and early 1990s.  Evidently the production staff felt Pittsburgh mirrored what we were seeing on-screen -- cold and snowy, good-sized Rust Belt metropolis.  I believe Pittsburgh's population was around 500,000 at the time, comparable to the "Wichita-sized city" Victor described to Hope.  

In the early 2000s, there were some "establishing shots" filmed around Charlotte, North Carolina.   Not sure why they selected Charlotte over Pittsburgh.  Probably figured found a couple of buildings there on which "Newman Towers" and "Jabot Cosmetics" could be airbrushed easily.  

• Members

So fun to see those 3 together!!

Please register in order to view this content

It's interesting because I do think Victoria's Leslie played most of the Lorie/Lance/Leslie triangle, but It's fun to see them all reminiscing! JLB especially looks great!