Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Not much info on Danny I agree.

Andy was introduced as a bartender at the Bayou, working for Cash. He joined on 06/18/1981. Nikki said Cash that Andy was hitting on her and he was fired. She apologized and they kind of dated during the crazy Edward storyline. Then, Andy was moved into Jill's orbit.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks for the reply. Am I correct that Andy was a teacher? Maybe they explained that in the script that he was working at The Bayou for extra cash in the Summer.

Thinking about it Danny would have worked at Jonas' club not The Allegro. So he would have interacted with Jonas.

Hope someone else can fill in the gaps.

• Members

Just found the SOD synopses from 81. Danny got involved with Patty pretty early on but she was swept off her feet by Jack.

Andy was involved with Nikki much to stalker Edward's chagrin. Nikki found out Andy was married and then Edward went full psycho so that was it for Andy and Nikki. After a run in with his ex Karen, Andy crossed paths with Jill at Jonas' and they began dating. Jill was in the midst of suing Jack for wrongful dismissal from Jabot.

There was even a mention of Nikki realizing that Jonas meant more to her than she realized, so Bill was thinking of hooking up those two but quickly dropped it.

• Members

Andy was going to take a job as a P.E teacher around the time Jill was eyeing off John in spring 1982. They may have mentioned earlier that he had been a teacher. Not sure. 

Allegro became Jonas' in Sep 1980, so yeah Danny worked for Jonas. I am pretty sure his first episode was meeting Patty. He was a singing waiter or at least sang while he waited, haha. Patty found him annoying but I guess charming enough that they began hanging around each other. 

Both Danny and Andy were introduced during a writers strike. I am almost certain Steven Ford was a last minute addition and was slotted into a bartender role until they could find him story, more likely the publicity of having an ex-President's son was worthwhile. I think Michael was probably hired to bring young blood and the bonus of being a singer, something Bell loved to incorporate. I am betting Conboy thought Michael was going to become a big star. Maybe another Rick Springfield or something. 

1981 wasn't a great year for the show and Danny and Andy came in just as Y&R changed time slots and I think CBS was trying to promote fresh, young talent. So it may have also been CBS that pushed for some younger actors too. 

• Members

Thanks @will81 and @Paul Raven for the history as always!

Yeah I was thinking 1981 going into 1982 always sounds like a mess. The idea of Andy and Jill as a couple sounds wrong lol even if it was Adair as Jill. The Paul/April/Barbara story reads as very, very bizarre. I’m not sure what the point of bringing back Sally & Chuckie was other than have it serve as a closure story for the 1973-82 era or at the least the end of Snapper and Chris. 

• Members

Well it was kind of in character for Jill. A few years before, in the midst of the Derek/Kay triangle she got involved with David Mallory, another decent man who could offer stability but oh no, Miss Foster loved the drama,the $$$ and the D too much.

I'm sure that Liz had the same reaction both times...

'Jill, David/Andy is a fine young man who can offer you and your boy a decent future but instead you keep on with those foolish notions of a life with Derek/Mr Abbott. Daughter, it's time you stopped wishin' your life away and did what's best for you and Phillip'.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

To be fair Jill was never hot for David. While Derek had been introduced in Summer 76, when David showed up Derek was but a memory, Bell would take close to a year to bring him back. It was Snapper who told Jill not to settle for a comfortable life and to pave her own way and nudged her to go back to the Salon, to gain independance because he knew she was going to accept David's proposal for security and nothing more. As soon as she saw Derek, David was done, haha. 

And again to be fair, Derek made the moves and slept with Jill to show her she needed passion in her life. The D did get her hooked though, lol. 

I think Jill was hot for Andy but when she realised he loved camping and wanted to be a P.E teacher and live in the Foster house, she was over it. 

Phillip was more angry because he saw the writing on the wall. He knew she was going to forget about him and focus on her 'new family' It was Jill who wanted to send him off to boarding school, but Phillip was so hurt and angry he was like 'fine I can't wait to go' 

• Members

In retrospect I think Jill’s child in the 80’s should have been born alive  as Billy and that alone would make Phillip III feel displaced …like Mike Horton before it and Lily Winters after it there would have been substantial questions and shock. I feel like like Jill getting pregnant again in 1993 was a complete redo of the story even though I remember a few pointing Victor might be Billy’s father

Please register in order to view this content

but the show never went there or acknowledged that timeline or events

• Members

There's a short clip in the vault from 1981 where Jill tells Phillip that he will eventually move into a great big house with a pool, if he'll just give her some time, and then she'll pick him up [from boarding school] and they'll live hapilly together forever. He asks her if this is about the man from the other night (at 7 years old, already on to her BS), if she's going to marry him, and then send him away forever. Jill says "does that mean you'll go?" (what a bitch!) and he says "I can't wait to leave." When Thom Bierdz starts in 1986, and Liz tells him Jill was shot, he asks if it was one of her lovers, so he's definitely well aware of his mom's tricks.

There's also a scene of little Phillip at Christmas 1983 or 1984 telling Jill thanks but no thanks to a visit, he's going to a friend's.