DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

I am pretty relaxed. I didn't think you were challenging anything.  But the fact that Mickey was trying to romance a woman that had a 19 year old pregnant daughter doesn't make him look younger either.  JC does have nice eyes, but he never looked "young" .  I would honestly buy he was Alice's younger brother before one of her children.  Same with Bill.  But, again, I can't speak for the times because I wasn't alive and I can't make a correct assumption for the style in that era.  

Rugged was probably a better overall look for him.   And I am not saying looks, perse, but actual age.  I don't think he was a bad looking guy.  Just a little older looking and didn't age great, so I think that didn't help his cause throughout the years.

Again, my perception of something I didn't see is only that and an opinion.  I am not sure if I think JC or EM's acting held up that well either.   The weird joke about Alice and the widower fell weirdly flat and it was clear JC flubbed his line as well in that episode.

Edited by carolineg

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I haven't seen enough of BM's work to make a full, accurate assessment, but you kinda have me hung up on rapemance..  I am just saying I can see the reasons these characters might have been backburnered or ignored.  Jed Allen, Bill Hayes, Quinn Redecker, etc weren't young either but seemed a bit younger.  Whether it was love interests or story-the Horton kids aged out into middle age very quickly.

• Members

I'm not clear about that either.  Was she jealous of Julie's beauty and youth?  Did she harbor a secret desire to be with Doug?  Did Julie remind her of her recently deceased mother?

Elizabeth Harrower seemed to be trying so hard to convince viewers that Laura was unstable that she got forgot that her motivations, however irrational they were, still needed to make some sense.

Perhaps, Laura had developed a sudden, irrational hatred of all the Hortons, borne out of her rape and being forced to conceal Michael's true paternity for years, and wrecking Julie's life was just one part of her overall agenda.

Still, I think the audience deserved a better explanation than "Well, she's nuts!".

Of course, I'm still not sure what was wrong with Laura, exactly, or why it took so long for her illness to manifest itself.  I mean, was she schizophrenic, or bipolar, or...what?

(By the way, I really hope Ron Carlivati isn't reading this thread.  You KNOW reading about Jennifer once being abandoned on a bus by her mentally ill mother is gonna lead him to create a split personality for Miss Chick-Fil-A.)

• Members

Let's add Addie and Tom Jr into the mix.Apart from Marie the rest of the Hortons were old before their time.

Tom and Alice were supposed to have married young,  By the time she was in her 50's , Alice had 30 years of wife and mother under her belt. She was also a grandmother. 

Raising all those kids she wouldn't be paying much attention to fashion and personal style.

Also at that time, women of a certain age adopted a look deemed appropriate for their age.

Also I guess they wanted Alice to look a little older when they were casting actors who weren't young enough to be her children IRL.

Actually, later on Alice  dressed much more fashionably as a woman in her 70's.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

I don't think it was normal mostly because it was costly to edit them in. I think most shows back then were still "live" as in being played out/filmed like live theatre even though they didn't air live. I think it wasn't until the 70s when video tape became the norm that flashbacks became more common.

• Members

This has been discussed elsewhere.

In Days case, as we know all the tapes were kept, whereas on the live shows they had to specify ahead of time if they wanted to retain a particular scene.

So days had access to all past episodes, the reason the flashback is lengthy I believe is that tape editing was not as advanced so they had to show the entire scene.