DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm doing a personal project, character analysis, 1991. I call it Roman, a Jerk or Not a Jerk? I'm on Day 15 which corresponds to 12-2-91 and so far Roman has not even been close to being a jerk, much less a male chauvinist pig or a misogynist. I can't imagine what in his 80s stuff is bad. Historically the cop & the doc were the most popular couple when Luke & Laura were off. Now when Dee & Wayne returned in '91 some people say Wayne got some really poor writing. I think you can't go by clips so I am watching full episodes. 

I didn't like John for a long time but I do like him now & I consider him the best parent & grandparent of all. And he did a great job with Carrie, Eric & Sami when they weren't really his responsibility. Of course, Carrie's parents are Roman & Anna. 

This started with me realizing it offends me for people to call the real historical Roman a misogynist. Real Roman, OG Roman, Roman played by Wayne Northrup was a hero, a good man. 

I know we are a product of our times & that there's stuff in soapdom's past that reads totally differently now than it did then. Re-watching The Doctors every day I am aware of how differently I see it now than I saw it as a teen. 

And I do think when you watch Roman in 1991 that you do have to be aware of what had happened to him in the 7 years of captivity & how absurd it was that anyone had ever believed Drake was playing Roman. Watching the scene where the whole family "meets" Real Roman in the Brady Fish Market is so amazing just how fast & completely first Shawn & then Caroline Know the truth when they see it & how hard they hug him!! 

• Members

@Donna L. BridgesI think Wayne's Roman's descent into being jerk started after he immediately went on assignment after getting back to find Bo.  Leaving Marlena and his kids alone again for months.  Then his issues with Carrie and Carrie's relationship with John made him seem at the very least unbendable.  I never got the sense he tried to reconnect with his family, wife, or children in the same way after being gone for 7 years-he just expected everyone to love him the exact same way as before.  He also had a tendency to disregard and not respect Marlena's career.   I think the writing was heavily skewed towards John and towards John/Marlena's affair.  I don't think Roman is a bad guy or had unrealistic reactions to an unbelievable situation, but I also don't think he comes off great.  Especially toward the end of his run where Marlena is doing everything to save the relationship.  He had every right to leave her, but not to leave his (troubled) children for several years with no contact.

• Members

I think if you search you tube you can find Wayne/Deidre's first scenes.  I believe he scares her in her office to prove how unsafe and careless she is being.  Unless @EdibleFlowers is referring to the sleeping bag scenes were he moves into her house on the floor and I think those are available as well.  I think it would be December 1981 or early 1982.  Wayne debuted in December 81 but I can't recall if his first scenes were with Deidre.    I have never seen the slap scenes after Samantha's death.  Or if I did I don't recall.  I would assume it would be in the same month or week that Sam died though.

• Members

I’m referring to his initial scene where he shows up to her office as a patient then pretends to be the Strangler and brings out a scarf to choke her. It’s very disturbing and it’s so bizarre that they became a couple after any of that.