DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

Thanks!  I'll have to check out recaps to see what Mike was up to during that time.  

I will always be curious who made the decisions and why during that time because it seems like what press is available varies so much from who was actually writing the show.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From Wesley Eure's WLS interview

I was doing other things at the time, but it came out later that I got fired because I was gay. The make-up people would call and say, "Wesley, you know the real reason they let you go is because everyone's talking about it." At the time one of the heads of NBC was Earl Greenburg, and I knew Earl and his partner, who died of AIDS. When I moved to Palm Springs, Earl Greenburg had now formed the Desert AIDS Project and he had the Rick Weiss Awards which was named after his partner, and had done a complete turnaround. He passed on last year. I raise a lot of money for AIDS, and the first thing he said to me when I saw him at a big fundraiser was, "Didn't I fire you?" And I said, "You [!@#$%^&*]." The word on the street was "you were gay and they wanted someone else." Can I prove it? No. Was it legend? Yes.

• Members

The dreaded Maggie surrogate story. When Pat Falken Smith arrived she declared she was puzzled by that story. She said Maggie would be the least likely woman to agree to surrogacy. She had never had a child and desperately wanted one.

It would have been better for Mickey and Maggie to use a surrogate themselves.

Did Maggie ever get a decent story once she married Mickey?

Stuart Whyland replaced Kellam Chandler as the Salem older villian. When PFS arrived she made Stuart an employee of Stefano, who used him to lay the groundwork for the DiMera takeover of Salem.

• Members

"DAYS" CAST IN THE 1950 CENSUS...

Here's Bill Hayes (Doug) in the 1950 census. He's listed as a 24-year-old "television entertainer", living in New York City with his wife and two children.

Please register in order to view this content

Here's Susan Seaforth Hayes (Julie). Then known as Susan Seabold, she lived in Los Angeles with her mother, future "Days" head writer Elizabeth Harrower (then listed as an actress).

Here's Suzanne Rogers (Maggie) in the 1950 census. Rogers, then known as Suzanne Crumpler, was 6 years old and living with her family in Petersburg, Virginia.

Two-year-old twins Deidre Hall (Marlena) and Andrea Hall (Samantha/Hattie) lived with their parents in Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan.

Here's 3-year-old James Reynolds (Abe), living in Kansas City with his parents and two brothers.

• Members
Here's Peggy McCay (Caroline), then 21, and listed as a legitimate theater actress. She lived in New York City with her parents.

Please register in order to view this content

Here's Frances Reid (Alice), and her husband, Philip Bourneuf. They were listed as radio/television actors living in New York.

Here's Macdonald Carey (Tom) and his family living in Los Angeles. Already a famous movie actor in 1950, the Careys employed both a live-in nurse/nanny for their newborn baby, as well as a live-in maid.

Very!  I'm quite surprised and happy to see that the 1950 census is now already searchable by name. It was only released 2 months ago, so I thought we wouldn't be able to get the search-by-name feature available until some point in 2022, but it only took two months!   

Seeing Jim Reynolds, I've learned he was actually born in Kansas City and raised in Oskaloosa, so that's new info to me (I found a newspaper article to verify that as well).

Also, Mac Carey was already rich enough in 1950 to employ both a live-in nanny and maid!