OLTL: Aubrey Spoilers

• Members

Well maybe Kelly was already in an awkward situation raising her child with Kevin, considering she slept with Kevin's son and got pregnant. Did she really need to then turn around and rub it in his face that she was now in love with his brother again? :-)- just saying....There's only so much a poor guy should have to take. :D

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She was very well taken care of at ATWT, with writing which rarely challenged her and allowed her to be the heroine of every story. Apparently that has affected her view of today's soap world. Much stronger actresses had to audition, and sometimes they didn't even get the parts, even when they played the parts before, like Ellen Wheeler when she tried to get back on AW in the early 90s.

I have no idea why she was asked that question about Reid's death.

• Members

Exactly. TC is delusional thinking that she shouldn't have been required to audition, but it isn't surprising since she was pampered on ATWT as you rightly pointed out CarlD2. TC is just an okay soap actress. Her greatest strength is her ability to cry on cue. She does do comedy well also. At her age and limited acting abilities, she is lucky to have gotten this contract role. She may be gone in a year so she and her agent better learn some humility.

• Members

LOL...I hadn't thought of it that way, exactly. I've watched enough of OLTL to not be impressed by their casting, period. The soaps are like any other business---experience is a HUGE bonus. (Hence, Austin Peck's continuing to be employed--well, until recently, anyway) IA she's not anywhere close to having Maura's talent, but I'd have thought someone would have glanced at her reel, which surely would have included some dramatic moments.

But the odds that she'd have chemistry with Degnan...not good. He looks too young for her. And way too young for Gina Tognoni.

C'mon...we know why she was asked about Reid's death---the Nuke/LuRe fans must be catered to and appeased. Even now. I'm actually more than a little surprised none of Maura's interviews have included a Nuke/LuRe question.

• Members

I didn't mean to imply that Terri was bad actress or anything like that. The fact that the soap press is acting like Teri being forced to audition is some sin before God is overreacting. Thinking like that won't allow for any new talent to come along. Louise Sorel having to audition to play that judge on AMC a bigger crime than this.

I also can't imagine Tom Degnan having chemistry with either woman, but I could have imagined this with Josh Kelly.

• Members

Terri can be a good actress with the right material. It's when they try to make her a heroine that I check out -- she did a good job when Brad died, but moments like Nancy's death I didn't think she sold. She can seem very fake.

I also think that OLTL is a show where it's easy to tip over into bad acting or non-acting because the whole show is constantly in upheaval.

I'm mostly just hoping that through some fluke, Degnan does a decent job (I thought he did the best he could at ATWT with a strange story which was abruptly ended when it was getting good) and Joey stays around and isn't seen as some loser or some foil for John/Rex/Todd. I really want to see Joey and Kevin back for good.

I haven't seen Kelly in anything, but I haven't seen Gina ever have chemistry with a man on OLTL. Terri, possibly, she was hit and miss on ATWT -- I liked her with Simon and Brad, the rest never did anything for me.

Good point. I tend to forget it's been a long time because he's been with so many Brenda clones.

• Members

IA, it's impossible to judge what Degnan can do by ATWT---the story of Adam's return was so mangled, it would have been impossible for almost anyone to make an impression.

And I think it's a cop out for Columbino to blame ATWT for not letting Katie grow as a character. Part of that comes from the actor and how they interpret the role.

• Members

Compared to other characters, like Emily, or Carly, who were constantly regressed and trashed by the writing, Katie did have a growth arc. Whether that arc suited her as an actress, I can't say, but she really had a much easier time than any other actress on the show during ATWT's last decade.

• Members

Well, Katie did grow...for awhile. Then, it became all about discovering her next "truelove." Of course, I tend to think that's b/c they wrote to KC's limited strengths. But that's just my opinion, ya know?

RE: Tom Degnan ~ I'll give him a chance, just b/c Joey Buchanan seems to be a thankless role to begin with. If he doesn't suck major donkey balls, then at least he'll have a leg up on several others who've played that part in years past.

Archived